Universal gravitation 10- Determine the rate

In summary, the question asks to determine the rate at which the area is swept by an imaginary line joining the sun and the Earth as the Earth orbits the sun. This can be found by calculating the area after one complete trip around the sun, using the given values of the Earth's period and mean orbital radius.
dani123

Homework Statement

As the Earth revolves around the sun, if not only travels a certain distance every second, it also causes an imaginary line between the Earth and the sun to pass through a certain area every second. During one complete trip around the sun, the total area would be approximately equal to ∏R2. The time it would take to do this would be the period, T. Determine the rate at which the area is swept by an imaginary line joining the sun and the Earth as the Earth orbits the sun. Use the Earth's period of 365 days and the mean orbital radius of 1.50x1011.

Homework Equations

I have made a list of equations that are relevant for this entire module on universal gravitation. So although there are many of them does not mean that they all apply in this circumstance. The ones relevant to this question will be placed in bold.

Kepler's 3rd law: (Ta/Tb)2=(Ra/Rb)3

motion of planets must conform to circular motion equation: Fc=4∏2mR/T2

From Kepler's 3rd law: R3/T2=K or T2=R3/K

Gravitational force of attraction between the sun and its orbiting planets: F=(4∏2Ks)*m/R2=Gmsm/R2

Gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and its orbiting satelittes: F=(4∏2Ke)m/R2=Gmem/R2

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation: F=Gm1m2/d2

value of universal gravitation constant is: G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2

weight of object on or near Earth: weight=Fg=mog, where g=9.8 N/kg

Fg=Gmome/Re2

g=Gme/(Re)2

determine the mass of the Earth: me=g(Re)2/G

speed of satellite as it orbits the Earth: v=√GMe/R, where R=Re+h

period of the Earth-orbiting satellite: T=2∏√R3/GMe

Field strength in units N/kg: g=F/m

Determine mass of planet when given orbital period and mean orbital radius: Mp=4∏2Rp3/GTp2

The Attempt at a Solution

I highlighted the above equation because I think I am supposed to use this equation for this problem. But I honestly don't understand what this question is actually looking for, so if someone could let me know where I should even begin it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dani123! :smile:
dani123 said:
As the Earth revolves around the sun, if not only travels a certain distance every second, it also causes an imaginary line between the Earth and the sun to pass through a certain area every second. During one complete trip around the sun, the total area would be approximately equal to ∏R2. The time it would take to do this would be the period, T. Determine the rate at which the area is swept by an imaginary line joining the sun and the Earth as the Earth orbits the sun. Use the Earth's period of 365 days and the mean orbital radius of 1.50x1011.

sorry, but all the equations you have listed are irrelevant :redface:

this is just geometry …

you're given the values of R and T, and you're asked to find the area per time

start with an easy case … what is the area after time T?​

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a physical law that describes the force of attraction between any two objects with mass. It states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered universal gravitation?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering universal gravitation in the 17th century. He developed the theory based on his observations of the motion of objects and the laws of motion.

3. What is the rate of universal gravitation?

The rate of universal gravitation, also known as the gravitational constant, is denoted by G and has a value of approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N·m^2/kg^2. This constant is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects of known masses and distance.

4. How does the distance between objects affect the rate of universal gravitation?

According to the universal gravitation equation, the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that the force of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation has many practical applications, including predicting the motion of planets and satellites in space, determining the strength of gravitational fields on Earth, and measuring the mass of celestial objects. It is also essential in understanding the formation and evolution of the universe.