Unraveling the Mystery of Pulleys: Understanding Force and Distance Ratios

• Thread starter ali PMPAINT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary, the conversation discusses a type that the speaker does not understand and asks for clarification. The speaker also mentions a concept from a book where pushing a rope results in doubling the force, but instead the distance traveled is only half. They are trying to understand why this happens and come to the conclusion that the rope must have increased in size. The conversation ends with the suggestion to pick a specific problem and show where they are stuck.
ali PMPAINT
Homework Statement
---
Relevant Equations
---
So, there are is a type which I couldn't understand.
1: (I don't know this type name is, so tell me please)

So, the books says if you push the rope, you will double your force, but instead, for every x distance you push, it will go x/2 distance(their work is the same), which I couldn't fiqure(How to spell the word?) out why. And when I think about it, I get to the weird conclusion that the rope must have increased its' size.
And it got much worse when I tried to solve this:

(it is 1600N)

Attachments

• DSC_0000010.jpg
    DSC_0000010.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_0000014.jpg
    DSC_0000014.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you pick one specific problem, take a crack at it, and show us where you are stuck.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove along its edge and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object evenly between the rope and the supporting structure. As the rope is pulled, the load is lifted up by the other end of the rope. The more pulleys involved, the less force is required to lift the load.

3. What is the force and distance ratio of a pulley?

The force and distance ratio of a pulley is a measure of how much force is required to lift a load compared to the distance the load is being lifted. For example, a pulley with a 2:1 ratio means that for every 2 feet the rope is pulled, the load is lifted 1 foot.

4. How many types of pulleys are there?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the load and can move with it, reducing the force required. Compound pulleys consist of a combination of fixed and movable pulleys, further reducing the force needed to lift the load.

5. What are some practical applications of pulleys?

Pulleys have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in elevators, cranes, flagpoles, and even in our own bodies (such as the pulley system in our fingers). They are also commonly used in construction, transportation, and manufacturing industries to lift and move heavy objects with less effort.