Use ratio test to find radius and interval of convergence of power series

In summary, the conversation discusses using the ratio test to find the radius and interval of convergence for a given power series. The equation for the ratio test is given, and the attempt at a solution involves finding the summation and simplifying the an+1/an ratio. The result is a radius of convergence of infinity and an interval of convergence from -∞ to ∞, though the website for the homework does not allow the use of infinity (∞) as an answer. The use of the factorial symbol (!) is also mentioned.
marylou

Homework Statement

Use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence of the power series:

[[Shown in attachment]]

Homework Equations

an+1/an=k

Radius of convergence = 1/k

Interval of convergence: | x-a |∠ R

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by finding the summation which I concluded was:

Ʃ (2^n)(x-0)^n / n(factorial)

So an+1/an = [2n+1/(n+1)(factorial)] *times* [ n(factorial)/ 2n ]

After cancelling, I arrived at 2/(n+1)

If that lim n→∞ is taken, it would be 0, meaning the radius of convergence is ∞, and the interval is from -∞ to ∞. Is that true or did I make a mistake, because the website for my homework won't allow me to enter infinity (∞)?

Attachments

• Hw 9-5 equa.png
    Hw 9-5 equa.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
marylou said:

Homework Statement

Use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence of the power series:

[[Shown in attachment]]

Homework Equations

an+1/an=k

Radius of convergence = 1/k

Interval of convergence: | x-a |∠ R

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by finding the summation which I concluded was:

Ʃ (2^n)(x-0)^n / n(factorial)

So an+1/an = [2n+1/(n+1)(factorial)] *times* [ n(factorial)/ 2n ]

After cancelling, I arrived at 2/(n+1)
What happened to x?

BTW, the symbol for factorial is !, so you can write n! instead of n factorial.
marylou said:
If that lim n→∞ is taken, it would be 0, meaning the radius of convergence is ∞, and the interval is from -∞ to ∞. Is that true or did I make a mistake, because the website for my homework won't allow me to enter infinity (∞)?

1. What is the ratio test?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series and using that to determine if the series converges or diverges.

2. How do you apply the ratio test to find the radius and interval of convergence?

To use the ratio test to find the radius and interval of convergence of a power series, you must first rewrite the series in its general form, with the variable x. Then, take the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms as n approaches infinity. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges absolutely and the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of the limit. The interval of convergence can be determined by plugging in the endpoints of the interval into the original power series and testing for convergence or divergence.

3. What does it mean if the ratio test gives a limit of 1?

If the limit of the ratio test is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series. This could mean that the ratio test is inconclusive for a specific series, or that the series may be on the boundary of convergence or divergence.

4. Can the ratio test be used for all power series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for power series with non-negative terms. If the terms of the series are not non-negative, another test, such as the root test, must be used to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Are there any limitations to using the ratio test to find the radius and interval of convergence?

Yes, the ratio test can only determine the radius and interval of convergence for power series with analytic functions. It cannot be used for series with non-analytic functions, such as series with discontinuities or singularities.