Which Advanced Math Courses Benefit Robotics and Propulsion Engineering?

• Thread starter Quantumfied
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the person is a Mechanical Engineering major with a Math minor and is looking for recommendations on which math classes to take. They are planning on going to grad school and most likely pursuing a PhD. They have taken or will take calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and other math courses as part of their major and minor curriculum. They need to take two math courses at the 4000 level or above for their minor. They are interested in Robotics/Mechatronics and propulsion for grad school. They are seeking advice from current engineers, their faculty advisor, and instructors of grad school classes. They are also interested in taking a class on Fourier series.
Quantumfied
Hey guys, I'm doing a Mechanical engineering major and a math minor and I have two math classes I can take at my own discretion. I was just wondering if there is any math class any current engineers would recommend I plan on going to Grad school and most likely doing a PhD after undergrad (I'll be a junior next semester). Math classes I've currently taking, have taken or will take as part of my major/minor curriculum are calculus 1, 2, 3, differential equations, linear algebra, vector calculus, and bridge to abstract mathematics. I have two math courses that are at least 4000 level or above that i need to take for the minor. I know math at higher levels gets more abstract but if you can think of any useful maths I'd love to hear it. Thank you.

P.S. My interest for grad school are in Robotics/Mechatronics and propulsion

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you list the math classes that you are going to choose from? Is your faculty advisor an ME? Asking instructors that teach the grad school classes that you anticipate taking might also help.

Have you taken anything that teaches Fourier series? They show up a lot in engineering coursework.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What are the most commonly used math concepts in engineering?

The most commonly used math concepts in engineering include algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry, and differential equations. These concepts are used to solve problems related to forces, motion, energy, and materials.

2. How important is math in engineering?

Math is essential in engineering as it provides the foundation for understanding and solving complex engineering problems. Engineers use math to analyze and design structures, systems, and processes, and to make accurate predictions and measurements.

3. What is the role of statistics in engineering?

Statistics is used in engineering to analyze and interpret data, make predictions and decisions, and evaluate the reliability and performance of systems. It is also essential in quality control, risk assessment, and experimental design.

4. How can I improve my math skills for engineering?

To improve your math skills for engineering, you can practice solving problems, review fundamental concepts, and seek help from tutors or online resources. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.

5. What are some real-life applications of math in engineering?

Math is used in various real-life applications in engineering, such as designing structures, predicting and analyzing the behavior of materials and systems, creating computer models, and optimizing processes and systems. It is also used in fields such as aerospace, mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering.