Uses for laser light in measuring hair width

In summary, the conversation discussed a practical experiment in physics class using a laser light and a single hair strand to create a diffraction pattern and measure the hair's width. The application of this experiment in real life was also explored, with a possible use in forensics being suggested. However, it was determined that a microscope may be a better method for measuring hair width in forensics. The potential for using lasers to measure the thickness of other objects was also considered. The conversation concluded with a discussion of alternative methods for obtaining information about hair width using photographs and the distance between the sample and the image plane.
NaukowiecGirl
I have a question that I feel I cannot find enough on.

We just did a practical in Physics class where we used a laser light shined on a single hair strand in order to create a diffraction pattern and use formulae to determine the hair's width. Because of Babinet's principle, the hair managed to cause the laser light to diverge around it and form the diffraction pattern of maximas and minimas on the wall.

Would there be any real life applications for such an experiment? The best I can think of is a forensics use in evidence by matching hair width at a crime scene with those of the suspects. Would there be any actual application?

Science news on Phys.org
NaukowiecGirl said:
The best I can think of is a forensics use in evidence by matching hair width at a crime scene with those of the suspects.

That would be better accomplished using a microscope.

Likes NaukowiecGirl
Yeah, I am aware of better methods in forensics, but I just cannot seem to find an application for using lasers in measuring hair width. Could it be used to measure the thickness of other things?

@A.T. Thankyou so much! Extremely helpful.

pixel said:
That would be better accomplished using a microscope.
In many / most cases, perhaps but there could be many instances where a microscope cannot be brought in close enough or the sample held steady enough. A single photograph of the patterns from several hairs could be easier to obtain. The only extra information needed would be the distance between the sample and the image plane (to get the angles of the fringes).
There are many ways to kill a cat.

What is the purpose of using laser light to measure hair width?

The purpose of using laser light to measure hair width is to obtain precise and accurate measurements of hair thickness. This is important for various research and medical purposes, such as studying hair loss or determining the effectiveness of hair care products.

How does laser light measure hair width?

Laser light is directed onto a strand of hair, and the light is reflected back to a sensor. The sensor measures the intensity of the reflected light, which is then converted into a measurement of hair width. This method is called optical coherence tomography.

What are the advantages of using laser light over traditional methods for measuring hair width?

One advantage of using laser light is that it is non-invasive and does not damage the hair being measured. It also provides more precise and consistent measurements compared to traditional methods, which may be affected by human error.

Can laser light measure different types of hair?

Yes, laser light can measure all types of hair, including straight, wavy, curly, and coily hair. It can also measure different hair colors and textures, making it a versatile method for hair width measurement.

What other potential uses does laser light have in hair-related research?

In addition to measuring hair width, laser light can also be used to study hair growth, hair density, and hair follicle health. It can also be used to analyze the effects of various treatments or products on hair, aiding in the development of new hair care solutions.