Using Kirchhoff's Laws to Solve a Circuit with Two Batteries

In summary, for Part c), you haven't shown your calculations but here are a couple of hints.Hint 1: You must calculate the load resistance used in Part a).Hint 2 (if you don't want to use Kirchhoff's laws): Two identical batteries, each with voltage source (emf) ##U_q## and internal resistance ##R_i## connected in parallel act as a single battery with voltage source (emf) ##U_q## and internal resistance ##\frac {R_i} {2}##.So as I have seen just know I didnt realize that the RL in b and a
sylent33
Homework Statement
When a resistor R is connected, the terminal voltage of a battery is equal to
U = 4.3 V and the power in the resistor P = 2W. The battery is said to be ideal
Voltage source can be modeled with internal resistance.
a)What is the internal resistance Ri of the battery if its source voltage Uq =
4.5 V?
b)At which load resistance would the terminal voltage be U = 4 V?
cYou connect a second, identical battery in parallel. How does the power change from point a)? Draw the circuit and label all sizes.
Relevant Equations
P = UI
Okay so This is what I've tried;

a) A formula I've found in the lecture notes;

$$ U_a = U_q - R_i*I $$ To get I used the ## I = \frac{P}{U} ## formula I get I to be 0,46 A.Now put back in formula for and rearange to get Ri should be

$$ \frac{Ua-Uq}{I} = Ri $$ and the solution should be 0,43 Ohm.

b) I used the same formula as in the first one but here I simply rearanged to get I

$$ I = \frac{Uq-Ua}{Ri} $$ I = 1,16; and now ## R = \frac{U}{I} ## = 3,44 Ohm.

Now I think these two should be fine,I've checked the work with a few friends and it matches.

c) Here I am having problems.I've drawn the picture and I've tried a few things but I am not really having much succsses with it; This is my picture;(attachment) Now P should be 2,09W but I don't see how.What I've tried is adding both currents since they both are going in the same knot(above I2) and I Kirchoffs Law.With that new current,I've tried finding P but the value is not correct.Any insights? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20201029-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20201029-WA0003.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 88
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the total resistance of the circuit?
I = Uq / ( Ri + RL )

Baluncore said:
What is the total resistance of the circuit?
I = Uq / ( Ri + RL )
Ah okay that I kind of overlooked.I've tried it again;

Now looking at your formula I think that the values of Ri and RL are simply the ones I calculated; so after calculating I again it should be I = 1,11 A . Now I think this should be the current of the circuit.Now to get the power of the entire circuit; P = U * I ;

Now this doesn't give me the wanted 2,09 W. I've also tried calculating the resistance of the circuit by considering that Ri are in parallel to each other but that didnt help. Could it be that the I i calculated is not what I think that it is?

sylent33 said:
Now looking at your formula I think that the values of Ri and RL are simply the ones I calculated
Where did you calculate RL for a)?

Do you know how to use Kirchoff's laws, including a systematic method for getting the signs right?

I'll chip in...

For Part a) the current is ##\frac {2}{4.3}## A. Rounded to 2 sig. figs. this is 0.47A, not 0.46A

For Part b) you may be required to round 3.44Ω to 3.4Ω if answers are required to 2 sig. figs.

For Part c), you haven’t shown your calculations but here are a couple of hints.

Hint 1: You must calculate the load resistance used in Part a).

Hint 2 (if you don’t want to use Kirchhoff’s laws): Two identical batteries, each with voltage source (emf) ##U_q## and internal resistance ##R_i## connected in parallel act as a single battery with voltage source (emf) ##U_q## and internal resistance ##\frac {R_i} {2}##.

So as I have seen just know I didnt realize that the RL in b and a was diffrent.My apologies. I did it just know and it should be RL = 9,25 Ohm.Now using the hint from Steve and this new RL I get the result I wanted (if we plug it into the formula I used earlier).But I am interested in the approach with Kirchoffs Law since we covered it in class and I think this is the way the exercise was susposed to be solved.I know both of them,but the systematic method for getting the signs right is kind of confusing.I am assuming you mean that if we sum up all of the voltages and the sign is negative than we just assumed the direction of the voltages wrong? So if I would to use the Kirchoffs Laws (which I would like to try it) I would need two loops and try to calculate the voltages out of that?

sylent33 said:
But I am interested in the approach with Kirchoffs Law since we covered it in class and I think this is the way the exercise was susposed to be solved.I know both of them,but the systematic method for getting the signs right is kind of confusing.I
There are variations on how Kirchhoff’s laws are used, but all are equivalent. Have you tried any YouTube videos? This one is OK (plenty of others available):
For your circuit in Post #1, for the 2 loops I would choose:
1) the right hand loop (containing ##U_{q2}, R_{i2}## and ##R_L##);
2) the outer (perimeter) loop (containing ##U_{q1}, R_{i1}## and ##R_L##)

Note ##U_{q1} = U_{q2}##. And ##R_{i1} = R_{i2}##, though you have labelled them both as ##R_i##.

Have a go. Post your equations if you want them checking.

Also note we often use lower case ‘r’ for internal resistance, so we could use symbols ##r_1## and ##r_2##. [Minor edit made.]

1. How does a battery work as a voltage source?

A battery works as a voltage source by converting chemical energy into electrical energy. This process involves a chemical reaction between the battery's electrodes and electrolyte solution, which creates a flow of electrons from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, resulting in a potential difference or voltage.

2. What is the difference between voltage and current in a battery?

Voltage is the measure of the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of a battery, while current is the rate of flow of electrons through a circuit. In other words, voltage is the force that pushes the electrons, while current is the actual movement of the electrons.

3. How does the voltage of a battery affect its performance?

The voltage of a battery directly affects its performance. A higher voltage means a greater potential difference, which results in a stronger flow of electrons and more power to devices. However, using a battery with a voltage higher than the device's requirement can damage the device.

4. What factors can affect the voltage output of a battery?

The voltage output of a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type of battery, its age, temperature, and the load connected to it. Different types of batteries have different voltage outputs, and as a battery ages, its voltage output decreases. Temperature can also affect a battery's voltage, with colder temperatures resulting in lower voltage output. The voltage output can also drop when a heavy load is connected to the battery.

5. How long does a battery's voltage last?

The voltage of a battery will gradually decrease over time as it discharges. The length of time the voltage lasts depends on the type of battery, its capacity, and the amount of current being drawn from it. Generally, a battery's voltage will last until it is fully discharged, and it will need to be recharged or replaced to continue functioning as a voltage source.