Using Parity operator for addition/subtraction

In summary, the conversation is about a question in a Quantum Mechanics class and the approach to solving it. The first part of the question involves a mathematical equation and the person has circled their answer on the first image. The second part of the question also involves a mathematical equation and the person has attached their answer to the second image. They are unsure if they have approached the question correctly and are looking for feedback. A small error in parentheses is also mentioned.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Prove Πxf(r)+xΠfr)=0.
Compute Πxyf(r)-xyΠf(r):
Relevant Equations
Parity Operator
This is for a Quantum Mechanics class but part b of this question seemed like it relied more on math than physics so I think it appropriate to post here. If not, Mods please move to appropriate place.
Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 7.06.05 PM.png

For the ##\Pi xf(\vec r)+x\Pi f(\vec r)=0## I have my answer circled in red on the first image.
For ##\Pi xyf(\vec r)-xy\Pi f(\vec r)## I have my answer attached to the 2nd image.

Im not sure if I am approaching this correctly. I just followed the actions listed in the question, and it seems like the first part worked out so the same logic should apply to the 2nd part?

Looking to see If I have the right approach here or any feedback if available.
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1682.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't mean to nitpick, but you seem to have a parentheses missing on the second line; just left of )=0

Likes guyvsdcsniper

1. What is the Parity operator for addition/subtraction?

The Parity operator for addition/subtraction is a mathematical concept that determines whether the result of an addition or subtraction operation is even or odd. It is represented by the symbol "⊕" and is also known as the XOR operator.

2. How does the Parity operator work?

The Parity operator works by comparing the binary representation of two numbers being added or subtracted. If the number of 1s in the binary representation is even, the result is considered even and the operator returns 0. If the number of 1s is odd, the result is considered odd and the operator returns 1.

3. What are the benefits of using the Parity operator for addition/subtraction?

Using the Parity operator can provide a more efficient way to determine whether a result is even or odd, as it only requires a simple comparison of the binary representation rather than performing the actual addition or subtraction. It is also useful in error detection and correction in computer systems.

4. Can the Parity operator be used for other operations besides addition/subtraction?

Yes, the Parity operator can also be used for other operations such as multiplication, division, and bitwise operations. However, its most common use is for addition and subtraction.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Parity operator for addition/subtraction?

One limitation of using the Parity operator is that it only works for integer numbers. It cannot be used for floating-point numbers or non-numeric values. Additionally, it only determines whether the result is even or odd, and does not provide the actual result of the operation.