Using right hand rule 1 to find direction of magnetic field

In summary, to find the direction of the magnetic field at point P, you can use the right-hand rule and picture the right-hand-rule image superimposed on the current. The direction of the field will be into the page, as shown by the B field arrows pointing into the wrist. Similarly, to find the field B1 at point P, you can use the right-hand rule and imagine wrapping your hand around the current with your fingers curling in the direction of the field.
Scholar1
[Mentor's note: Thread moved from technical sections so no template shown]
33xvmev.png

So the calculations all make sense.

But for example to find the direction of B2= 1.33 X 10-5T

I believe you should position your right hand like this:

Because your thumb should point in the direction of the current which is upwards in this case?

2mcivqg.gif

Assuming my approach so far is correct I don't understand how this hand image tells me that B2 is into the page.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you're looking for the field at point P? (It's hard to tell without a proper problem statement to make clear what it is you're trying to solve). If you picture the right-hand-rule image superimposed on current 2, point P would be in the vicinity of the hand's wrist. The B field arrows are pointing into the wrist, hence into the page.

gneill said:
I assume that you're looking for the field at point P? (It's hard to tell without a proper problem statement to make clear what it is you're trying to solve). If you picture the right-hand-rule image superimposed on current 2, point P would be in the vicinity of the hand's wrist. The B field arrows are pointing into the wrist, hence into the page.

Yes I am trying to find the field at point P. I think I understand now. If you don't mind can you also explain how I could find field B1 at point P?

You've already done the calculation for the magnitude of the field. The direction is given by the right hand rule. Imagine wrapping your hand around the current as in the figure, with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current (so downwards in the case of current 1). Your fingers curl in the direction of the field (picture your finger nails as arrow heads).

Related to Using right hand rule 1 to find direction of magnetic field

1. What is the right hand rule 1?

The right hand rule 1 is a method used in physics to determine the direction of a magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. It is based on the principle that the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow.

2. How do I use the right hand rule 1?

To use the right hand rule 1, hold your right hand so that your thumb points in the direction of the current flow. Then, curl your fingers around the wire. The direction in which your fingers curl represents the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of using the right hand rule 1?

Using the right hand rule 1 allows us to determine the direction of the magnetic field with respect to the current flow. This is important in understanding how magnetic fields interact with other magnetic fields or charged particles.

4. Can the right hand rule 1 be used for any type of current?

Yes, the right hand rule 1 can be used for both direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). It is also applicable to any type of current-carrying wire, as long as the direction of the current flow is known.

5. Are there any variations of the right hand rule 1?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule, such as the right hand rule 2 and the right hand rule 3. These are used to determine the direction of magnetic force and the direction of induced current, respectively. However, the right hand rule 1 is the most commonly used for finding the direction of a magnetic field.