Using the Lagrange Remainder Theorem (advanced calc/real analysis)

In summary, we can use the Lagrange remainder theorem to show that the middle expression falls between the first and third expressions by comparing the error terms in their respective Taylor series expansions. This proves the inequality for x>0.
kidairbag
Hi everyone. This is my first post here and I was wondering if any of you could help me.

The question is to prove that
[tex]1 + \frac{x}{3} - \frac{x^2}{9} < (1 + x)^\frac{1}{3} < 1 + \frac{x}{3} [/tex] if x>0.

The question is in a section on the lagrange remainder theorem. The fact that the first expression is less than the third is self evident but I'm assuming to show that the middle expression falls between the two involves using the lagrange remainder theorem on that expression. I don't really know how exactly I would go about squeezing it between the two expressions, however, so I'm looking for some pointers on that.

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind. I was able to figure it out by using the first and second degree taylor polynomials of the second expression and determining sign of the remainder. Thanks though!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Great question! To prove that the middle expression falls between the first and third expressions, we can use the Lagrange remainder theorem to show that the error term in the middle expression is smaller than the error terms in the first and third expressions.

Let's start by writing out the Taylor series expansions for each expression:

1 + \frac{x}{3} - \frac{x^2}{9} = 1 + \frac{x}{3} - \frac{x^2}{9} + \frac{x^3}{27} + ...

(1 + x)^\frac{1}{3} = 1 + \frac{1}{3}x - \frac{1}{9}x^2 + \frac{1}{27}x^3 + ...

1 + \frac{x}{3} = 1 + \frac{x}{3} + 0 + 0 + ...

We can see that the first and third expressions are the first and second degree Taylor polynomials for the middle expression. Now, let's consider the error term for each expression:

1 + \frac{x}{3} - \frac{x^2}{9} + \frac{x^3}{27} + ... = 1 + \frac{x}{3} - \frac{x^2}{9} + R_2(x)

(1 + x)^\frac{1}{3} = 1 + \frac{1}{3}x - \frac{1}{9}x^2 + \frac{1}{27}x^3 + R_3(x)

1 + \frac{x}{3} = 1 + \frac{x}{3} + R_1(x)

Where R_n(x) represents the remainder term for the nth degree Taylor polynomial. We can see that for the middle expression, the remainder term is R_3(x), which is the smallest among the three expressions. This means that the middle expression is closer to the true value than the first and third expressions.

Therefore, we can conclude that 1 + \frac{x}{3} - \frac{x^2}{9} < (1 + x)^\frac{1}{3} < 1 + \frac{x}{3} for x>0.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Using the Lagrange Remainder Theorem (advanced calc/real analysis)

1. What is the Lagrange Remainder Theorem?

The Lagrange Remainder Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to estimate the error in approximating a function using a Taylor polynomial. It states that the remainder term in the Taylor series is equal to the value of the derivative of the function at a specific point, multiplied by the remainder of the series.

2. When is the Lagrange Remainder Theorem used?

The Lagrange Remainder Theorem is used in advanced calculus and real analysis to approximate functions using Taylor polynomials. It is also used in numerical analysis to estimate the error in numerical methods.

3. How is the Lagrange Remainder Theorem derived?

The Lagrange Remainder Theorem is derived from the mean value theorem and the Taylor series expansion of a function. By applying the mean value theorem to the remainder term of the Taylor series, we can derive the formula for the Lagrange remainder.

4. What is the significance of the Lagrange Remainder Theorem?

The Lagrange Remainder Theorem is significant because it provides a way to estimate the error in approximating a function using a Taylor polynomial. This allows us to determine how accurate our approximation is and make improvements if necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrange Remainder Theorem?

Yes, the Lagrange Remainder Theorem has limitations. It only works for functions that are infinitely differentiable, and the error term can only be estimated within a certain interval. Additionally, the theorem assumes that the function is continuous and that the derivatives of the function are continuous as well.