Using variation of parameters to derive a general solution?

In summary, the equation becomes:##Y(t)=\frac{y_1(s)y_2(t)-y_t(t)y_2(s)}{y_1(s)y_2'(s)-y_1'(s)y_2(s)}g(s)ds##
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"By choosing the lower limit of integration in Eq. (28) in the text as the initial point ##t_0##, show that ##Y(t)## becomes

##Y(t)=\int_{t_0}^t(\frac{y_1(s)y_2(t)-y_t(t)y_2(s)}{y_1(s)y_2'(s)-y_1'(s)y_2(s)})g(s)ds##

Show that ##Y(t)## is a solution of the initial value problem:

##L[y]=g(t)##
##y(t_0)=0##
##y'(t_0)=0##"

Homework Equations

Equation 28: ##Y(t)=-y_1(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_2(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(s)}ds+y_2(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_1(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(s)}ds##

The Attempt at a Solution

My main method of trying to solve this would be to differentiate ##Y(t)## twice and substituting in the derivatives into the general equation ##y''+p(t)y'+q(t)y=g(t)##. So...

##Y(t)=\int_{t_0}^t(\frac{y_1(s)y_2(t)-y_t(t)y_2(s)}{y_1(s)y_2'(s)-y_1'(s)y_2(s)})g(s)ds##
##\frac{d}{dt}Y(t)=(-y_1'(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_2(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(s)}ds-y_1(t)\frac{y_2(t)g(t)}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)})+(y_2'(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_1(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)}ds+y_2(t)\frac{y_1(t)g(t)}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)})##

I feel like there should be an easier way to do this, because I don't really wish to calculate the second derivative of ##Y(t)##. Perhaps I should do something with the ##L[y]## operator? I don't exactly know how it works.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"By choosing the lower limit of integration in Eq. (28) in the text as the initial point ##t_0##, show that ##Y(t)## becomes

Show that ##Y(t)## is a solution of the initial value problem:

##L[y]=g(t)##
##y(t_0)=0##
##y'(t_0)=0##"

Homework Equations

Equation 28: ##Y(t)=-y_1(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_2(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(s)}ds+y_2(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_1(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(s)}ds##

The Attempt at a Solution

My main method of trying to solve this would be to differentiate ##Y(t)## twice and substituting in the derivatives into the general equation ##y''+p(t)y'+q(t)y=g(t)##. So...

##\frac{d}{dt}Y(t)=(-y_1'(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_2(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(s)}ds-y_1(t)\frac{y_2(t)g(t)}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)})+(y_2'(t)\int_{t_0}^t\frac{y_1(s)g(s)}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)}ds+y_2(t)\frac{y_1(t)g(t)}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)})##

I feel like there should be an easier way to do this, because I don't really wish to calculate the second derivative of ##Y(t)##. Perhaps I should do something with the ##L[y]## operator? I don't exactly know how it works.
Think about Leibnitz rule:$$
\frac d {dt}\int_{t_0}^t f(s,t)~ds = f(t,t) + \int_{t_0}^t f_t(s,t)ds$$Try applying that to$$
Y(t)=\int_{t_0}^t(\frac{y_1(s)y_2(t)-y_1(t)y_2(s)}{y_1(s)y_2'(s)-y_1'(s)y_2(s)})g(s)ds$$Try applying that directly to your integral without taking anything out of the integral. I think you will see it works easier than what you did and you will notice immediately that part of your answer cancels out. Not that your work is incorrect but I think you will find it seems less messy and won't be so terrified about taking another derivative.

LCKurtz said:
##\int_{t_0}^tf_t(s,t)ds##

Do you mean I take the partial derivative with respect to ##t##? Anyway, thanks. This simplified the problem very much.

Last edited:

1. What is variation of parameters?

Variation of parameters is a method used in mathematics to solve differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to a differential equation by using an "ansatz" or guess, and then using a variation of this solution to obtain a general solution.

2. How does variation of parameters work?

The variation of parameters method involves finding a particular solution to a differential equation by using a guess, typically in the form of a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function. This solution is then substituted into the original equation, and the coefficients of the guess are determined by equating the coefficients of the original equation to the coefficients of the particular solution. The resulting general solution will satisfy the original equation.

3. When should variation of parameters be used to solve a differential equation?

Variation of parameters is typically used when the coefficients of the differential equation are not constant. It is also used when other methods, such as separation of variables or integrating factors, are not applicable.

4. What are the advantages of using variation of parameters?

One advantage of variation of parameters is that it can be used to find a general solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation without requiring knowledge of the complementary function. It also allows for the flexibility of choosing a particular solution that can be easily integrated.

5. What are some common mistakes when using variation of parameters?

Some common mistakes when using variation of parameters include incorrectly choosing the form of the particular solution, not properly equating coefficients, and forgetting to include the complementary function in the final general solution. It is also important to check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies the equation.