Value of an implicit derivative

In summary: Use a plain apostrophe instead.In summary, to find the value of h'(0) when given h(x)+xcos(h(x))=x^2+3x+2/π, we can differentiate both sides using the chain and product rules to obtain h'(x)=2x+3-cos(h(x))/(1-sin(h(x))). Then, by plugging in x=0, we can solve algebraically for h'(0), which is equal to 2+3-cos(h(0))/(1-sin(h(0))). Since we do not have an explicit formula for h(x), we cannot determine the value of h(0), but we do know that h(0) = 2/
Zack K

Homework Statement

Find the value of h'(0) if: $$h(x)+xcos(h(x))=x^2+3x+2/π$$

Homework Equations

Chain Rule
Product Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I differentiated both sides, giving h'(x)+cos(h(x))-xh'(x)sin(h(x))=2x+3
Next I factored out and isolated h'(x) giving me: h'(x)=2x+3-cos(h(x))/1-sin(h(x))
My issue is that I do not know what h(0) is so I can't plug that into my equation to find h'(0)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that ##h(x) + x\ \cos(h(x)) = x^2 + 3x + {2 \over \pi}##. This is true whatever we make x. What happens when x = 0?

Zack K said:
My issue is that I do not know what h(0) is so I can't plug that into my equation to find h'0

Hmm. Normally, if you want to evaluate ##h(0)##, you plug ##0## into an equation for ##h(x)##. Compared to implicit differentiation, that would appear elementary!

verty said:
You are given that ##h(x) + x\ \cos(h(x)) = x^2 + 3x + {2 \over \pi}##. This is true whatever we make x. What happens when x = 0?
Then h(x) is equal to 2/π?

Zack K said:
Then h(x) is equal to 2/π?
No, ##h(0) = \frac 2 \pi##. You don't have an explicit formula for h(x).

Replace x with 0 in the formula you wrote in post #1, and maybe you can solve algebraically for h'(0).
Zack k said:
I differentiated both sides, giving h'(x)+cos(h(x))-xh'(x)sin(h(x))=2x+3

Also, don't use the BBCode superscript icon for the prime symbol - ' Doing this makes it almost impossible to see.

Last edited:

1. What is the value of an implicit derivative?

The value of an implicit derivative is a numerical value that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is calculated using the derivative rules and can be used to determine the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

2. How is the value of an implicit derivative calculated?

The value of an implicit derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of both sides of an implicit equation with respect to the independent variable. This involves using the chain rule and product rule, if necessary, to simplify the equation and solve for the implicit derivative.

3. What is the significance of the value of an implicit derivative?

The value of an implicit derivative is significant because it provides information about the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can be used to determine if a function is increasing or decreasing at that point, as well as the slope of the tangent line. This information is useful in many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering.

4. How is the value of an implicit derivative different from an explicit derivative?

An implicit derivative is calculated using an implicit equation, where the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. In contrast, an explicit derivative is calculated using an explicit equation, where the dependent variable is written explicitly in terms of the independent variable. The value of an implicit derivative is not always easy to find, while the value of an explicit derivative can be easily calculated using the power rule.

5. Can the value of an implicit derivative be negative?

Yes, the value of an implicit derivative can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point. However, the value of an implicit derivative can also be positive or zero, depending on the behavior of the function at that point. It is important to consider the sign of the implicit derivative when interpreting its value in real-world situations.