Value that gives more than one stationary point

In summary: Yes, on the real line. When you start to talk about complex numbers, there are complex solutions for the square root of negative numbers, but that is another subject.
maxim07
Homework Statement
What value of z makes the curve have more than one stationary point
Relevant Equations
f(x) = 2x^3 -12x^2 + zx + 30
Here is my attempt at a solution

A252BB1F-99CE-4BA1-A73F-D77423075407.jpeg

I don’t know where to go from here, as the equation is a quadratic it will have two solutions which means there will be two stationary points, but I don’t know how to solve for z.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
maxim07 said:
I don’t know where to go from here, as the equation is a quadratic it will have two solutions
Does a quadratic always have two solutions?

Likes Delta2
Not if both brackets are the same

maxim07 said:
I have no idea what you mean by that. What brackets?

• Love
  • Haha
Likes docnet and Delta2
maxim07 said:
I don’t know where to go from here, as the equation is a quadratic it will have two solutions which means there will be two stationary points
That is only guaranteed if you allow complex solutions. When the problem expects only real solutions, the quadratic formula must have non-negative numbers inside the square root. That should allow you to get the restrictions on z.

Likes Delta2
maxim07 said:
I mean sometimes if you factor a quadratic the two bracketed terms you end up with are the same so you only have one solution

Likes Delta2
maxim07 said:
I mean sometimes if you factor a quadratic the two bracketed terms you end up with are the same so you only have one solution
Can you always factorise a quadratic? What about ##x^2 + 1##?

maxim07 said:
You need to use the quadratic formula. That will give you the factors, whether they are real, complex, integer, irrational, etc.

92E789C7-7147-4C2F-8701-56F2B124B030.jpeg

using the fact that the term under the square root can not be negative, this is what I get

Likes FactChecker and Delta2
So to summarize, there will be two stationary points if z < 24.

What happens if z = 24? Or if z > 24?

Comment - the usual way of writing the derivative of f at a value x is f'(x), not f(x)'. IOW, the "prime" symbol (an apostrophe) goes immediately after the function name.

If z = 24 you get sqrt(0) , if z>24 you get a negative in the square root, neither of which are possible

maxim07 said:
If z = 24 you get sqrt(0) , if z>24 you get a negative in the square root, neither of which are possible
No, both these cases are possible. If z = 24, there is only one stationary point. If z > 24, there are no stationary points. In the latter case, this means that the graph of ##f(x) = 2x^3 - 12x^2 + zx + 30## is always increasing; i.e., has no points at which the tangent line is horizontal.

Likes docnet and FactChecker
So if z =24 we get √0 so there is only one x solution and so one stationary point, if z > 24 we get √- so there are no solutions and no stationary points

maxim07 said:
So if z =24 we get √0 so there is only one x solution and so one stationary point, if z > 24 we get √- so there are no solutions and no stationary points
Yes, on the real line. When you start to talk about complex numbers, there are complex solutions for the square root of negative numbers, but that is another subject.

1. What is a stationary point?

A stationary point is a point on a graph where the slope or gradient is equal to zero. This means that the graph is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

2. How can a value give more than one stationary point?

A value can give more than one stationary point if the graph has multiple points where the slope is equal to zero. This can happen when the graph has a plateau or a point of inflection.

3. Why is it important to study values that give more than one stationary point?

Studying values that give more than one stationary point can provide insight into the behavior of a function and its critical points. It can also help in finding the maximum and minimum points of a function.

4. What are some real-life applications of values that give more than one stationary point?

Values that give more than one stationary point can be found in various real-life situations, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, in economics, a company may want to find the optimal production level that maximizes profit, which can be determined by finding the stationary points of the profit function.

5. How can we find the values that give more than one stationary point?

To find the values that give more than one stationary point, we can use calculus techniques such as differentiation and optimization. By setting the derivative of the function equal to zero and solving for the variable, we can find the critical points, which may include multiple stationary points.