Van der Waals forces of hydrogen

In summary, Van der Waals forces of hydrogen are weakest in a liquid state due to the movement of electrons in molecules that can create momentary imbalances and induce dipole moments in neighboring molecules. Without electrons, there would be no Van der Waals forces.
wenxian
Why does the Van der Waals forces of hydrogen weakest in liquid state?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I doubt it is true that Van der Waals forces of hydrogen are weakest when the hydrogen is in a liquid state. But I also doubt this is the question you were asked, I suppose you were asked why the Van der Waals forces in liquid hydrogen are the weakest Van der Waals forces present in any substance.

Thanks for correcting my mistake. That is what I was trying to ask. Can u explain the reason to me ?

What is the source of the Van der Waals forces?

This force arises because electrons in molecules are moving at high speed in orbitals. At any instant in time it is possible for more electrons to lie to one side of the molecule than the other one. When this happens, Van der Waal's forces occur. The momentary imbalance of electrons provides the positive end of a dipole with the atomic nucleus providing the positive end of the dipole. Therefore, instantaneous dipole produces an induced dipole in the neighboring molecules. in my opinion,this is how Van der Waal's forces of attraction occur. Am I right? Please feel free to point out my mistake.

This is more or less correct.

Now, the answer to your original question lies in your explanation. If not for the electrons there would be no VdW forces, wouldn't it?

Got it. Thanks!

What are Van der Waals forces of hydrogen?

Van der Waals forces of hydrogen refer to the attractive forces between hydrogen atoms and other neighboring atoms or molecules. These forces are weak and arise from temporary dipoles created by the uneven distribution of electrons in the atoms or molecules.

How do Van der Waals forces of hydrogen affect the physical properties of substances?

Van der Waals forces of hydrogen can contribute to the overall physical properties of substances such as melting point, boiling point, and viscosity. They can also affect the solubility and surface tension of substances.

Are Van der Waals forces of hydrogen present in all substances?

Yes, Van der Waals forces of hydrogen are present in all substances to some degree. However, their strength may vary depending on the type of atoms or molecules involved, their arrangement, and the surrounding conditions.

How do Van der Waals forces of hydrogen differ from other types of intermolecular forces?

Van der Waals forces of hydrogen are weaker than other types of intermolecular forces such as ionic, covalent, and metallic bonds. They are also different in their origin, as they arise from temporary dipoles rather than the sharing or transfer of electrons.

Can Van der Waals forces of hydrogen be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, Van der Waals forces of hydrogen can be manipulated or controlled to some extent by changing the temperature, pressure, or polarity of the surrounding environment. They can also be affected by the presence of other molecules or ions that can disrupt or enhance the forces.