Variation of Parameters (Diffy Equ.)

In summary: So, yes, you can add the specific solution to the entire equation to the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation to get the general solution to the entire equation.
EV33

Homework Statement

t²y"-t(t+2)y'+(t+2)y= 2t³

y1(t)=t

y2(t)=te^t

t>0

Homework Equations

w(t)=y1*y2' - y1*y2
g=2t
y=-y1∫(gy2)/w + y2∫(gy1)/w

The Attempt at a Solution

y1=t
y1'=1
y2=te^t
y2'=e^(t)+ te^(t)

w(t)=te^(t)+t²e^(t)-te^(t)=t²e(t)

∫(gy2)/w=∫(2t²e^(t))/(t²e^(t))=∫ 2dt=2t+c1

∫(gy1)/w=∫(2t²)/(e^(t)t²)=∫2e^(-t) dt=-2e^(-t) + c2

my final answer:
y=-2t²-tc1-2t+te^(t)c2

The book some how got rid of the C's...
The answer in the book is:

Y(t)= -2t²

I have no idea how to solve for the c1 and c2 without initial conditions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't without some kind of additional conditions, either "initial values" or "boundary values", you cannot determine the constants. Reread the exercise and see if additional conditions are not given somewhere.

There is no additional information, but I have found on the oher problems that if I let c1 and c2=0 then I get the correct answer. On this problem though I have a correct solution when I drop the c's, but unlike the rest of the problems I don't get the exact answer in the book.

The solutions manual actually gets to the point where I ended...

-2t²-2t

but it says" However since t is a solution of the homogeneous D.E. we can choose as our particular solution Y(t)= -2t²

I am not too sure what they mean by this,If this helps anyone understand how they arrived at that answer, I would greatly appreciate an explanation.

Last edited:
You did not state the problem correctly then. "[itex]-2t^2[/itex]" is NOT the general solution to the equation, nor is it a solution to the equation with specific additional conditions. It is a particular solution to the entire equation- which you would then add to the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation to get the general solution to the entire equation.

Yes, if the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is "[itex]C_1e^{ax}+ C_2e^{bx}[/itex]" and a particular solution is [itex]y_p(x)[/itex], then the general solution to the entire equation is [itex]C_1e^{ax}+ C_2e^{bx}+ y_p(x)[/itex] and, obviously, taking [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] equal to 0 gives back [itex]y_p(x)[/itex]. IF part of the [itex]y_p(x)[/itex] that you get happens to be one of the solutions to the homogeneous equation, then you can add that to the homogeneous equation just changing the constant multiplying it.

Here two independent solution to the associated homogeneous equation are t and [itex]te^t[/itex] so the general solution to the homogeneous equation is [itex]y= C_1t+ C_2te^t[/itex].

You say you got, as specific solution to the entire equation [itex]y_p= -2t^2- 2t[/itex]. Okay, that means your general solution to the entire equation can be written as [itex]y(x)= C_1t+ C_2te^t- 2t^2- 2t[/itex]. But that is the same as [itex]y(x)= (C_1- 2)t+ C_2te^t- 2t^2[/itex] and that could be rewritten as [itex]y(x)= B_1t+ B_2te^t- 2t^2[/itex] where [itex]B_1= C_1- 2[/itex] and [itex]B_2= C_2[/itex].

Related to Variation of Parameters (Diffy Equ.)

1. What is Variation of Parameters in Differential Equations?

Variation of Parameters is a method used to find a particular solution to a non-homogenous linear differential equation. It involves finding a set of functions that, when multiplied by the derivatives of the homogeneous solution, will produce a solution to the non-homogenous equation.

2. How is Variation of Parameters different from other methods of solving Differential Equations?

Variation of Parameters is different from other methods, such as the Method of Undetermined Coefficients, because it can be used to find a particular solution for a wider range of non-homogenous equations. It also allows for a more general solution to be found, rather than just a specific solution for a given set of initial conditions.

3. What are the steps involved in using Variation of Parameters?

The steps for using Variation of Parameters are as follows:

1. Find the homogeneous solution to the differential equation.
  2. Find the Wronskian of the homogeneous solution.
  3. Find the integrals of the Wronskian and the non-homogenous function.
  4. Plug these integrals into the formula for the particular solution.
  5. Simplify the particular solution and combine it with the homogeneous solution to get the general solution.

4. When should Variation of Parameters be used to solve a Differential Equation?

Variation of Parameters should be used when the non-homogenous function is not a polynomial or exponential function. It is also useful when the non-homogenous function cannot be guessed or when the Method of Undetermined Coefficients fails.

5. Can Variation of Parameters be used for higher-order Differential Equations?

Yes, Variation of Parameters can be used for higher-order linear differential equations. However, it becomes more complex as the order of the equation increases, and may require the use of matrices and vectors to solve.