Vector identity involving grad and a function

In summary, index notation is a way of writing equations where the indices (or parts of the indices) represent different dimensions of the problem. This is useful when the function involved can take different forms in different directions, or when different indices refer to different parts of the function.
ck99

Homework Statement

The question is to use index notation to show that the following is true, where a is a three-vector and f is some function.

Homework Equations

vector_thing.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmmm . . . I haven't really got anything to put here!

I am starting to get to grips with the basics of index notation, and using the Levi-Civitas identities for other identity proofs. I haven't ever worked with grad before though, and I can't find any help online because I can't find any other identities that look like this one. Does it have a name or something to help me search?

The closest I have found is "The product of a vector and a scalar" on wikipedia

scalar_and_vector.jpg

but my question states that f is a function, not a scalar, which must make some difference I guess! I just don't know where to start here, do any of the operations within my question have an index-notation version using the LC tensor or similar?

Any help much appreciated :)

PS: You will need to click the thumbnails in the post to see the full pictures of the equations. I am not much of a computer guy. Or a maths guy, it seems :(

Physics news on Phys.org
f is a scalar function, as opposed to, say, a vector function.

The i-th component of [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is [itex]\partial_i[/itex]f. Use that and the Levi-Civita symbol to prove the identity.

vela said:
f is a scalar function, as opposed to, say, a vector function.

The i-th component of [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is [itex]\partial_i[/itex]f. Use that and the Levi-Civita symbol to prove the identity.

I think the root of my problem here is that I have no idea how to write out the starting equation in ordinary longhand notation (as components of vectors), let alone in index notation.

Is [itex]\nabla f[/itex] equal to [itex] f \nabla[/itex]?

And what do I get from multiplying [itex]\nabla[/itex] with fa?

If you don't understand the notation or what the gradient is, a good place to start is looking up what it means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient

Your textbooks will probably have a more accessible discussion.

Hello, it seems like you are trying to prove the following vector identity:

∇(fA) = (∇f)A + f∇A

This is known as the product rule for gradients. To prove this, we can use index notation as follows:

∇(fA) = (∂/∂x^i)(fA^j) = (∂f/∂x^i)A^j + f(∂/∂x^i)A^j = (∇f)A + f∇A

Where we have used the product rule for derivatives in the second step, and the definition of the gradient in the third step.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

What is the definition of a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing its magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing its direction.

What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a scalar field. It is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the scalar field and its magnitude represents the rate of change.

What is the vector identity involving grad and a function?

The vector identity involving grad and a function is the relationship between the gradient of a scalar function and the curl of a vector function. It states that the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is always equal to zero.

What is the physical significance of the vector identity involving grad and a function?

The physical significance of this vector identity is that it helps us understand the relationship between the rate of change of a scalar field and the rotation of a vector field. It is used in many areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, to describe the behavior of these fields.

How is the vector identity involving grad and a function used in practical applications?

This vector identity is used in practical applications to solve problems involving scalar and vector fields. It allows us to simplify complex equations and understand the behavior of these fields in different situations. It is also used in the development of mathematical models and simulations in various fields of science and engineering.