Vector resolution onto axes not at right-angles

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating components using formulas and parallelogram law. The person asking for help has provided some of their attempted solutions and the key answers. They mention being stuck and needing further clarification on where they went wrong. Eventually, they are able to solve the problem with the help of the person responding. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the person successfully finding the answer and being asked to show their work and method used.
AzureSekki
Summary:: I'm quite stuck on this problem i don't know what I am going to use formula to solve this one

This is the given I am not sure if this is a resolution problem or it involve parallelogram law
IMG_20200222_090025.jpg
IMG_20200222_090030.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. I moved your post to a homework forum because it looks like homework.

Why did you post the pictures sideways?

Our homework help rules require you to show your effort before our helpers can help. Show us how you would calculate the two components asked for.

IMG_20200222_092951.jpg

This is my current solution but the key answers were given to us except for the solution
The key answers were
2224 ft and 2551 ft
Most of my answers are faraway from the key answers that why I am quite stuck

You are incorrectly mixing the angle of 65 degrees with the OA vector.
It indicates the angle of the OB component of that vector instead.

Lnewqban said:
You are incorrectly mixing the angle of 65 degrees with the OA vector.
It indicates the angle of the OB component of that vector instead.
Can you elaborate much further in where i got wrong

Not really.
Draw a line that being parallel to OB, goes between A and the intersection point with OC.
In a triangulation diagram, that will be one of the components of vector OA.
The other component will be the line between that intersection point and O.
Try to draw that set of triangles and resolve for magnitudes of both components.
Good night.

IMG_20200222_130334.jpg

Is this what u meant

I got the answer thanks

AzureSekki said:
I got the answer thanks
Excellent!
Could you show your work and final values?
What method did you use?

What is vector resolution onto axes not at right-angles?

Vector resolution onto axes not at right-angles is a method used to break down a vector into its components when the axes are not perpendicular to each other. This is often the case in real-world situations where motion and forces act in multiple directions.

Why is vector resolution onto axes not at right-angles important?

This method is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the effects of a vector in different directions. By breaking down a vector into its components, we can determine the magnitude and direction of its impact on an object or system.

How is vector resolution onto axes not at right-angles calculated?

The process involves using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the vector. These components can then be added together using vector addition to find the resultant vector.

What are some real-world applications of vector resolution onto axes not at right-angles?

This method is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze forces acting on objects at different angles. It is also used in navigation and mapping, such as determining the direction and magnitude of a ship's motion in the ocean.

Are there any limitations to vector resolution onto axes not at right-angles?

One limitation is that this method only works for two-dimensional vectors. It also assumes that the vector is acting on a flat surface and does not account for any external factors, such as friction. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations can be affected by human error or limitations in the measuring instruments.