Vector subtraction with momentum

In summary, the equation for finding the change in velocity for the second ball is: v2 - v2` = 27and the angle is [E 27 E]
PeterO said:
It doesn't matter if you do include absolute value, but it is not necessary.
Hello, PeterO.

We are considering the equation m2 = |v1'-v1 |/ |v2 - v2'| m1

If you take away the magnitude symbols, then you would be dividing by a vector. Is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
TSny said:
I don't think it's very meaningful to calculate a % error for an angle. For example, suppose you had an angle that was supposed to be 2 degrees but your experimental value was 3 degrees. That's pretty good - only one degree off. That's just as good as an experimental value of 101 degrees for an angle that should be 100 degrees. But the % error in the first case would be calculated as 100%*(3-2)/2 = 50 %. In the second case, 100%*(101-100)/100 = 1%.

Are you sure that you weren't suppose to find the % error in the mass m1?
what do you find the Error in mass 1?

Lolagoeslala said:
what do you find the Error in mass 1?

Ach. I meant to write m2. I think you said you needed to find m2. So, I was thinking maybe that's what you had to determine a % error for.

TSny said:
Ach. I meant to write m2. I think you said you needed to find m2. So, I was thinking maybe that's what you had to determine a % error for.

so you mean to say... wait...

do you mean like this m2-m1/m1 x 100%?

Lolagoeslala said:
so you mean to say... wait...

do you mean like this m2-m1/m1 x 100%?

No, % error in m2 would be to compare your experimental value of m2 to the known value of m2 (assuming you have a known value). So, % error = (m2experiment - m2known)/m2known * 100. If you don't know the actual value of m2, then you can't get a percent error for it.