Velocity, acceleration and distance

In summary, an object is pushed from rest across a sheet of ice, accelerating at 5.0 m/s2 over a distance of 80 cm. The object then slides at a constant speed for 4.0 s until it reaches the rough section that causes the object to stop in 2.5 s. The speed of the object when it reaches the rough section is 2.8 m/s and it decelerates at a rate of -1.12 m/s2. The total distance that the object slides is 14.85 m.
cash.money

Homework Statement

An object is pushed from rest across a sheet of ice, accelerating at 5.0 m/s2 over a distance of 80 cm. The object then slides at a constant speed for 4.0 s until it reaches the rough section that causes the object to stop in 2.5 s.

a) What is the speed of the object when it reaches the rough section?
b) At what rate does it slow down once it reaches the rough section?
c) What is the total distance that the object slides?

Any help will be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think:
a) find v
b) find a
c) find d(distance)

I have some answers but I don't think its correct because of the rough section part of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. What do you get for the speed when it reaches the rough area?

LowlyPion said:
OK. What do you get for the speed when it reaches the rough area?

I got

a) 2.8 m/s
b) -1.12 m's2
c) 15.5 m

cash.money said:
I got

a) 2.8 m/s
b) -1.12 m's2
c) 15.5 m

a) looks correct. So does b) I get a slightly different rounding.

LowlyPion said:
a) looks correct. But how did you calculate b)?

b) a = (Vf - Vi)/t
a = (0 - 2.8 m/s)/2.5 s
a = - 1.12 m/s^2 answer

cash.money said:
b) a = (Vf - Vi)/t
a = (0 - 2.8 m/s)/2.5 s
a = - 1.12 m/s^2 answer

It's not a big difference, but I used the √8 for v.

Now c) then is 4 * a) plus the calculation of the distance derived from slowing down over the rough. So what is the deceleration distance?

LowlyPion said:
It's not a big difference, but I used the √8 for v.

Now c) then is 4 * a) plus the calculation of the distance derived from slowing down over the rough. So what is the deceleration distance?

This is what I did to get c)

total distance = distance when it was being pushed + distance when
it slides at constant speed for 4.0 s + distance during which it
decelerates

Dt = D1 + D2 + D3
Dt = [(2.8 m/s)^2 - 0^2]/[(2)(5.0 m/s^2)] + (2.8 m/s)(4.0 s)
+ [0^2 - (2.8 m/s)^2]/[(2)(- 1.12 m/s^2)]
Dt = 15.5 m answer

cash.money said:
This is what I did to get c)

total distance = distance when it was being pushed + distance when
it slides at constant speed for 4.0 s + distance during which it
decelerates

Dt = D1 + D2 + D3
Dt = [(2.8 m/s)^2 - 0^2]/[(2)(5.0 m/s^2)] + (2.8 m/s)(4.0 s)
+ [0^2 - (2.8 m/s)^2]/[(2)(- 1.12 m/s^2)]
Dt = 15.5 m answer

The question asks for how far it slides. I wouldn't include the .8m it was pushed.

That yields √8 * 4 = 11.314
8/(2*1.13) = 3.54
Total 14.85 m.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (numerical value) and direction. For example, a car traveling at 50 miles per hour north has a velocity of 50 miles per hour north.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different definitions. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. It is the measure of how fast an object is moving, without considering its direction. Velocity, on the other hand, takes into account both speed and direction.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction. When an object speeds up, slows down, or changes direction, it is experiencing acceleration. The unit for acceleration is typically meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the change to occur. The formula is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Acceleration can also be calculated by dividing the force acting on an object by its mass (a = F/m).

5. What is the relationship between distance, velocity, and acceleration?

Distance, velocity, and acceleration are all related through the equations of motion. Distance is the total amount an object has traveled, while velocity is the rate at which the distance is changing. Acceleration, as discussed, is the rate of change of velocity. These three quantities are all related through time, and can be used to calculate each other using the equations of motion.