Venturi, Orifice and Nozzle

ASME (ISBN 0-7918-0175-2).In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of mass flow systematic uncertainty estimation for venturi nozzle and orifice. The biggest error is found in the venturi nozzle, which is attributed to the larger discharge coefficient compared to the orifice. The need for a well-stated question and a detailed understanding of the test setup is emphasized, and a recommended reference for further information is provided.
Merttt
Hello everyone. When I try to do mass flow systematic uncertainty estimation for venturi nozzle and orifice, I am getting the biggest error from venturi nozzle. What is the reason for it? ( Why coefficient of velocity of venturi nozzle is too big compared to orifice and nozzle.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Merttt said:
Why coefficient of velocity of venturi nozzle is too big compared to orifice and nozzle.

i am unfamiliar with "coefficient of velocity".
Did you mean perhaps "discharge coefficient " cd ?
see http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/orifice-nozzle-venturi-d_590.html
cd IS larger for a venturi than for an orifice.

What do you mean by error ?
A question well stated is half answered.
Without knowing your test setup, the results you expected and those you got,
how could anyone do anything but serve you up a word salad??

ASME publishes a most excellent reference , titled simply "Fluid Meters"

1. What is the purpose of a Venturi, Orifice, or Nozzle?

A Venturi, Orifice, and Nozzle are all types of flow meters used to measure the flow rate of fluids. They work by creating a constriction in the flow of the fluid, causing a pressure drop which can then be measured and used to calculate the flow rate.

2. What is the difference between a Venturi, Orifice, and Nozzle?

The main difference between these flow meters is the shape of the constriction they create. A Venturi has a gradual reduction in diameter, an Orifice has a sharp-edged hole, and a Nozzle has a converging and then diverging shape.

3. How accurate are Venturi, Orifice, and Nozzle flow meters?

The accuracy of these flow meters can vary depending on factors such as the type of fluid being measured, the size and shape of the constriction, and the installation conditions. Generally, Venturi meters have the highest accuracy, followed by Orifice meters, and then Nozzle meters.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a Venturi, Orifice, or Nozzle?

The main advantage of these flow meters is their simplicity and low cost compared to other types of flow meters. However, they may not be suitable for measuring very low flow rates, and their accuracy can be affected by changes in fluid properties or installation conditions.

5. How do I choose the right Venturi, Orifice, or Nozzle for my application?

The choice of flow meter will depend on factors such as the type of fluid, flow rate, required accuracy, and installation conditions. It is important to consult with a flow meter expert to determine the best option for your specific application.