Is Mass the Same as Weight in Truss Calculations?

In summary, the weight of each member of the truss structure is calculated by multiplying the volume by density.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

Calculate the weight of each member of the truss structure.

Homework Equations

density = mass/volume

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part of a lab that we are doing in my mechanics of materials course. I have designed a structure, and I must calculate the weight of each member. In short, we have been given density, the cross-sectional area of each member, and the diagram of the structure (and thus length of each member). Volume is in in3 and density is in lb/in3 So what I have done so far is:
1) Calculate the volume of each member by multiplying the length by its cross-sectional area.
2) Calculate the mass of each member by multiplying the volume by density.

My question is, when the units cancel I am left with lbs. for the unit of mass. Is this the weight? Or do I need to multiply it by 32.2 ft/s2?

Physics news on Phys.org
lbs. is a unit of weight, not mass. When you multiply volume in in3 by density in lb/in3, you get weight in lbs. You do not multiply by 32.2 ft/s2.

On edit: If you really want mass, check this out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(mass)

dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the weight of each member of the truss structure.

Homework Equations

density = mass/volume

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part of a lab that we are doing in my mechanics of materials course. I have designed a structure, and I must calculate the weight of each member. In short, we have been given density, the cross-sectional area of each member, and the diagram of the structure (and thus length of each member). Volume is in in3 and density is in lb/in3 So what I have done so far is:
1) Calculate the volume of each member by multiplying the length by its cross-sectional area.
2) Calculate the mass of each member by multiplying the volume by density.

My question is, when the units cancel I am left with lbs. for the unit of mass. Is this the weight? Or do I need to multiply it by 32.2 ft/s2?

This issue comes up a lot and has been dealt with quite thoroughly in this Forum; see
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pounds-is-a-unit-of-mass-or-weight.259981/

As long as the engineering profession continues to stick with the imperial system this will be a continuing headache.

Okay thanks. It just strikes me as odd that the formula has mass, but yet you end up with weight. It's also crazy since this means the weight of the truss is only 10lbs and yet it holds up a 10,000lb load...But then again this is just a 2D model of what would really be a 3D structure.

1. How do I calculate weight?

Weight is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the gravitational acceleration of the Earth (9.8 m/s²). The formula for weight is W = m x g, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is gravitational acceleration.

2. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force, while mass remains constant.

3. How do I convert weight from pounds to kilograms?

To convert weight from pounds to kilograms, divide the weight in pounds by 2.2046. For example, if an object weighs 10 pounds, the conversion would be 10 lbs / 2.2046 = 4.5359 kg.

4. Can weight be negative?

No, weight cannot be negative. It is a measure of force and therefore must be positive. However, weight can be represented by negative numbers in certain calculations or in relation to a reference point.

5. How does weight change on different planets?

The weight of an object will change on different planets due to variations in their gravitational acceleration. For example, an object that weighs 100 pounds on Earth would weigh 37.8 pounds on Mars, which has a lower gravitational acceleration of 3.71 m/s².