View Saturn w/ 1100x120 Reflector: Eye Piece Guide

• Thread starter cas888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Saturn
In summary, the conversation discusses the best eyepiece to use with a 1100x120 reflector telescope and the challenges of achieving a clear image. The advice given is to start with the lowest zoom eyepiece and work up from there, as there is no "best" eyepiece. It is also recommended to try viewing Saturn at its highest point in the sky for optimal viewing, and to ensure the telescope is properly collimated.
cas888
wondering which eye piece is best to use with my 1100x120 reflector galileo ,all i get for image is white fuzzy circle

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Start with your lowest zoom eyepiece and work your way up from there. There is no "best" eyepiece really, if you feel like looking at a zoomed in blur, then that is fine! The further you zoom in the blurrier it gets. Also try to get saturn at it's highest point in the sky for best viewing. Later on in the night as it gets lower you will have more distortion from the atmosphere.

Your telescope is about 4.7 inches correct? (120 mm across) You won't be able to get a large crisp image with that unfortunantly. (At least in my meager experience)
Also make sure your scope is collimated correctly.

1. How can I view Saturn with a 1100x120 reflector?

To view Saturn with a 1100x120 reflector, you will need to have the correct eyepiece. The eyepiece guide will help you choose the appropriate eyepiece based on your telescope's focal length. Once you have the correct eyepiece, you can align your telescope and use it to view Saturn.

2. What is the recommended magnification for viewing Saturn with a 1100x120 reflector?

The recommended magnification for viewing Saturn with a 1100x120 reflector is between 100x to 200x. This will provide a clear and detailed view of the planet, allowing you to see its rings and moons.

3. Can I see Saturn's rings with a 1100x120 reflector?

Yes, you can see Saturn's rings with a 1100x120 reflector. The rings are one of the most distinctive features of Saturn and are visible with most telescopes, including a 1100x120 reflector. However, the quality of the view may vary depending on factors such as atmospheric conditions and the telescope's focal length.

4. How can I improve the view of Saturn with my 1100x120 reflector?

To improve the view of Saturn with your 1100x120 reflector, you can try using different eyepieces with varying magnifications. You can also use a Barlow lens to increase the magnification of your existing eyepieces. Additionally, make sure to observe Saturn on a clear night with minimal atmospheric disturbances for the best view.

5. What other planets can I view with a 1100x120 reflector?

With a 1100x120 reflector, you can view many other planets in our solar system, including Jupiter, Mars, and Venus. Depending on the conditions and your telescope's capabilities, you may also be able to spot Uranus, Neptune, and even Pluto. The eyepiece guide can help you choose the appropriate eyepiece for viewing these planets as well.