Viscous damping acting on rotating disk

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the torque and viscous damping coefficient on a rotating metal disk in an oil sump. The individual is interested in finding information online but does not possess the necessary skills to solve the problem themselves. They are advised to search for "viscous drag on rotating disc" in fluid mechanics literature.
bisherbas
I am looking for a way to calculate the torque, hence the viscous damping coefficient per T = c*w, acting on a rotating metal disk in an oil sump. How can I go about it? Thanks!

PS. I am not a ME so please forgive my ignorance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You may be able to find something in the fluid mechanics literature about the torque on a finite disk rotating in an infinite ocean of viscous fluid. I don't think it is something that you are going to find in everyday textbooks, and probably not on line. I assume you are not interested in setting up the problem and solving it yourself or using CFD software.

Chet

Thank you for the reply. Well I would be interested in that but I don't have the necessary skills to do so. I was hoping to find an answer online because I thought it would be a common fluid dynamics problem in the ME world. I could search the literature but I would need help with choosing the right keywords.

Try viscous drag on rotating disc.

1. What is viscous damping?

Viscous damping is a type of energy dissipation that occurs when an object moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the frictional force between the moving object and the fluid, which converts the object's kinetic energy into heat.

2. How does viscous damping affect a rotating disk?

Viscous damping can have a significant impact on the motion of a rotating disk. As the disk spins, it encounters resistance from the air or other surrounding fluid, which slows down its rotation and causes it to eventually come to a stop.

3. What factors affect the amount of viscous damping on a rotating disk?

The amount of viscous damping on a rotating disk can be influenced by several factors, including the density and viscosity of the surrounding fluid, the speed of rotation, and the shape and size of the disk.

4. How is viscous damping quantified in relation to a rotating disk?

Viscous damping is typically quantified by a damping coefficient, which represents the proportionality between the damping force and the velocity of the object. In the case of a rotating disk, the damping coefficient can be determined experimentally or through mathematical modeling.

5. How can viscous damping on a rotating disk be minimized?

To reduce the effects of viscous damping on a rotating disk, various techniques can be employed such as using a more streamlined disk shape, decreasing the speed of rotation, or reducing the density or viscosity of the surrounding fluid. Additionally, adding a lubricant or using materials with low friction can also help minimize viscous damping.