Viscous fluid in granular material (DAPL)

In summary, the conversation was about finding resources to understand the physics behind fluid flow from a boundary into granular material, specifically in the context of the DAPL oil pipeline news story. The person was looking for books or websites that discuss the governing equations and whether there are solvable numerical results or approximate models. They clarified that they did not want to discuss politics, only the physics involved in this process. The solution provided was Darcy's law.
jman31415
I saw the DAPL news story about the oil pipeline and I realized I have no idea how to analyze the problem of a fluid flowing from a boundary into granular material (or however you would classify soil).

Does anyone know of any book or website that discuss the governing (or approximate) equations involved in such a process.

My guess is that the equations are non-solvable but I am curious if there are numerical results and/or solvable approximate toy models.

P.S. I don't want to discuss any politics, just the physics involved with oil flowing into soil.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
Darcy's law.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

1. What is DAPL?

DAPL stands for "Dense Aqueous Phase Liquid". It is a type of viscous fluid that can be found in granular materials, such as sand or soil. It is composed of a mixture of water and non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPLs), such as oils or chemicals.

2. How is DAPL formed?

DAPL is formed when NAPLs are introduced into the pores of the granular material. The NAPLs are less dense than water, so they rise to the top of the pore space. As more NAPLs enter the pores, they can form a continuous layer on top of the water, creating a DAPL layer.

3. What are the properties of DAPL?

DAPL is highly viscous, meaning it has a thick and sticky consistency. It also has a higher density than water, which allows it to remain on top of the water in the pores. DAPL can also be highly mobile, meaning it can move through the pores of the granular material.

4. How does DAPL impact the behavior of granular materials?

DAPL can significantly alter the behavior of granular materials. It can decrease the permeability of the material, making it more difficult for water to flow through. It can also decrease the stability of the material, making it more prone to collapse or erosion. DAPL can also affect the transport of contaminants through the granular material.

5. How is DAPL studied and monitored?

DAPL can be studied and monitored using various techniques, such as X-ray imaging, electrical resistivity measurements, and chemical analysis. These methods can provide information on the distribution, movement, and properties of DAPL within the granular material. Regular monitoring of DAPL can help assess potential environmental risks and determine appropriate remediation strategies.