Voltage Calculation: What Are the Necessary Values?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the voltage and the values used to obtain the answer of 890mV. The equation V = sqrt (VR) is mentioned, but the values needed for the calculation are unknown. It is mentioned that 50 Ohms is typically used as the impedance for dBm measurements, but it is not clear if this value was used in the calculation.
nothing909
Question:

The question and the solution are attached below. It asks to calculate the voltage and in the answers and the bottom, it says the voltage is 890mV. What are the values used to calculate this number?

It tells me the equation V = sqrt (VR) but I don't know the values to to put into calculate 890mV.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use 50 Ohms for R?

no, that's the only information i was given to answer the question.

Well, it's standard to use 50 Ohms as the impedance for dBm measurements. Usually it is called "dB above a milliwatt into 50 Ohms".

Last edited:
nothing909 said:
It tells me the equation V = sqrt (VR) but I don't know the values to to put into calculate 890mV.
So do you have what you need now? :smile:

ty, never knew that

Likes berkeman
:smile:

1. What is a signal?

A signal is a physical quantity that can carry information. It can be in the form of electrical voltage, current, light, sound, or any other form of energy.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

3. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage flows in one direction continuously. Most household outlets provide AC voltage, while batteries provide DC voltage.

4. How do you find the voltage in a circuit?

To find the voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Another way is to use a multimeter, which can measure voltage directly.

5. What factors can affect the voltage in a circuit?

The voltage in a circuit can be affected by the source of the voltage, the resistance of the circuit, and the current flowing through the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can cause a change in the voltage. Other factors that can affect voltage include temperature, humidity, and circuit components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.