Voltage Distribution in a Potential Divider Circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing a potential divider and how moving the contact X towards P affects the potential difference and bulbs. The person originally thought the answer was A but was corrected. They are now confused about the potential difference across lamp 1 and are asking for further guidance with specific questions about the battery voltage, voltage at node P, voltage at slider X, and voltage on each side of lamp 1.
Muhammad Danish

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-18_22-49-21.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When we will move the contact X towards P, the potential difference should be maximum across the potential divider. I work out A as my answer but I think it is wrong.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-18_22-49-21.png
    upload_2018-5-18_22-49-21.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,048
Physics news on Phys.org
Muhammad Danish said:
I work out A as my answer but I think it is wrong.
Yes, that is incorrect.
Muhammad Danish said:
When we will move the contact X towards P, the potential difference should be maximum across the potential divider.
True, but how does this affect the bulbs? What is the potential difference across lamp 1 when you connect X to P?

cnh1995 said:
Yes, that is incorrect.

True, but how does this affect the bulbs? What is the potential difference across lamp 1 when you connect X to P?
This is where my confusion is..

Muhammad Danish said:
This is where my confusion is..
@cnh1995 Can you guide me further?

Let's say the battery is 12v.
What is the voltage at node P?
What is the voltage on the slider X when it's at P?
What is the voltage on each side of lamp 1?
What is the difference between each side of lamp 1?

Question 1: What is a potential divider circuit?

A potential divider circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses resistors to divide a voltage into smaller portions. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as sensors, amplifiers, and power supplies.

Question 2: How does a potential divider circuit work?

A potential divider circuit works by using two or more resistors in series to divide a voltage. The output voltage is determined by the ratio of the resistances of the resistors and the input voltage. This allows for a specific voltage to be obtained from a larger input voltage.

Question 3: What are the components of a potential divider circuit?

The components of a potential divider circuit include a power supply, two or more resistors, and a load. The power supply provides the input voltage, the resistors divide the voltage, and the load consumes the output voltage.

Question 4: What are the applications of a potential divider circuit?

Potential divider circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to provide a specific voltage level. They are also used in sensors to measure changes in resistance, and in amplifiers to control the gain of a signal.

Question 5: How do I calculate the output voltage in a potential divider circuit?

The output voltage in a potential divider circuit can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors, and Vout is the output voltage. This formula assumes that the load has a very high resistance compared to R2, so it can be neglected.