Volume bounded by two surfaces, what am I missing?

In summary: To be honest, I don't get what the textbook is trying to say by dividing into 4 parts. I have read the text several times, and I don't get it even I see why it should be symmetric. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid bounded by two equations using double integration. The incorrect solution is provided and corrected, leading to a discussion about using polar coordinates and the shell method. The concept of dividing the volume into four parts is also mentioned, but the reasoning behind it is not understood.
qq545282501

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid bounded by z=x^2+y^2 and z=8-x^2-y^2

Homework Equations

use double integral dydx

the textbook divided the volume into 4 parts,

Snapshot.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
f(x)= 8-x^2-y^2-(x^2+y^2)= 4-x^2-y^2

Snapshot.jpg

i use wolfram and got 8 pi, the correct answer is 16 pi from the textbook.

I understood the textbook version, I see why its dividing into 4 parts since its symmetric about x and y axis, but I don't understand why my method is half of the correct volume. obviously I need to multiply my double integral by 2, but I just don't get the picture, I am confused, am I just getting the volume of the lower paraboloid with my setup like that?

what if the upper paraboloid has different volume as the lower paraboloid, for example, the upper function could be z=4x^2+y^2, then multiplying by 2 just doesn't make sense since the top and bottom are not equal to each other. can someone help me out, its been bothering me since yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't use SIZE tags -- I have removed them from your post.

qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

use double integral dydx

View attachment 91365

[/B]
The above is incorrect. ##8 - x^2 - y^2 - (x^2 + y^2) = 8 - 2x^2 - 2y^2##.
qq545282501 said:
View attachment 91364

I understood the textbook version, I see why its dividing into 4 parts since its symmetric about x and y axis, but I don't understand why my method is half of the correct volume. obviously I need to multiply my double integral by 2, but I just don't get the picture, I am confused, am I just getting the volume of the lower paraboloid with my setup like that?

what if the upper paraboloid has different volume as the lower paraboloid, for example, the upper function could be z=4x^2+y^2, then multiplying by 2 just doesn't make sense since the top and bottom are not equal to each other. can someone help me out, its been bothering me since yesterday.

Likes qq545282501
Mark44 said:
Please don't use SIZE tags -- I have removed them from your post.

The above is incorrect. ##8 - x^2 - y^2 - (x^2 + y^2) = 8 - 2x^2 - 2y^2##.
oopz, my bad.
omg, no wonder why! I was reading the text and just copied that down without even checking it. Thank you so much!

Recheck the text. Possibly it was [itex]8- x^2- y^2- (x^2+ y^2)= 2(4- x^2- y^2)[/itex] and you missed the "2".

Likes qq545282501
qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

use double integral dydx

View attachment 91365

[/B]

View attachment 91364

It is a lot easier if you switch to polar coordinates for x and y; then you don't need to divide anything into parts, you just need to use the shell method.

HallsofIvy said:
Recheck the text. Possibly it was [itex]8- x^2- y^2- (x^2+ y^2)= 2(4- x^2- y^2)[/itex] and you missed the "2".
yes, you are right, i was not careful enough...

Ray Vickson said:
It is a lot easier if you switch to polar coordinates for x and y; then you don't need to divide anything into parts, you just need to use the shell method.
yes, indeed. Though, i was trying to make sure I got the concept down in my mind.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume bounded by two surfaces?

The formula for finding the volume bounded by two surfaces is the integral of the difference between the two functions, with respect to the variable of integration.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for finding the volume bounded by two surfaces?

The limits of integration are determined by finding the points of intersection between the two surfaces. These points will be the lower and upper bounds for the integral.

3. Can the volume bounded by two surfaces be negative?

No, the volume bounded by two surfaces cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space between the two surfaces, so it will always be a positive value.

4. What happens if one of the surfaces is below the other?

If one of the surfaces is below the other, the volume bounded by the two surfaces will be equal to the integral of the upper surface minus the integral of the lower surface. This will result in a negative value, but the absolute value of the volume will still represent the space between the two surfaces.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the volume bounded by two surfaces?

Yes, there are some special cases when finding the volume bounded by two surfaces. For example, if the two surfaces intersect at multiple points, the integral may need to be split into multiple parts. Additionally, if one of the surfaces is a plane, the volume can be found using the cross-sectional area and the distance between the surfaces.