Volume of 1 Mole O2 & CO2 at Same Temperature & Pressure

In summary, the composter is "inhaling" oxygen and "exhaling" CO2. The composting process is the reverse of photosynthesis.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,

A:
1 mole O2 is roughly 32 grams?
1 mole ozone is roughly 48 grams?
1 mole CO2 is roughly 46 grams?
Considering there are isotopes
---------------------------------------------------------------
B:
Do, at the same temperature and pressure, 1 mole CO2 and 1 mole O2 have the same volume?
---------------------------------------------------------------
C:
At the same pressure, does the volume of 1 mole O2 at 400K is 2/3 the volume of 1 mole O2 at 600K?

I'm terribly sorry. I must have played truant at chemistry class:smile:

I have a composter. There two holes on it. One at the upper side, one at the lower side. The composting process is the reverse of photosynthesis. That is.
C6H12O6 + 6O2 -> 6CO2 + 6H2O
So it seems that the composter is "inhaling" oxygen and "exhaling" CO2. If the volume of 1 mole O2 is the same as the volume of 1 mole CO2, then O2 must be at the higher part and can enter the upper hole easily. And CO2 will come out the lower hole.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A, B, and C are correct, but
Stephanus said:
The composting process is the reverse of photosynthesis. That is.
C6H12O6 + 6O2 -> 6CO2 + 6H2O
is not. That represents the combustion of sugar. For one, the composting material is not principally made of sugar. Also, composting is done by bacteria, so it is much more complicated than a simple chemical reaction. As you were told in another thread, there are for instance anaerobic bacteria that will decompose the organic matter in the absence of oxygen.

Stephanus said:
If the volume of 1 mole O2 is the same as the volume of 1 mole CO2, then O2 must be at the higher part and can enter the upper hole easily. And CO2 will come out the lower hole.
That's a non-sequitur: even if all you had written was correct, I don't see how this would follow. In addition, the compost will be at a higher temperature than ambient air, so most of it will escape from the top hole.

Likes Stephanus
DrClaude said:
That's a non-sequitur: even if all you had written was correct, I don't see how this would follow. In addition, the compost will be at a higher temperature than ambient air, so most of it will escape from the top hole.
Thank you, thank you very much DrClaude.
So, how do we introduce the oxygen to the composter? Do the composter gets its oxygen from the material not from the air? Do we have to open the hatch occasionally?
Thanks for any reply. I'd like to do something for the environment. Perhaps if I know how to compost easily and correctly, I'll promote it to the people around me.

1. What is the volume of 1 mole of O2 and CO2 at the same temperature and pressure?

The volume of 1 mole of any gas at the same temperature and pressure is known as the molar volume, and it is approximately 22.4 liters. This means that 1 mole of O2 and 1 mole of CO2 at the same temperature and pressure will have a combined volume of 44.8 liters.

2. How is the molar volume of gases calculated?

The molar volume of gases is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles present, and inversely proportional to the temperature and pressure. The ideal gas law equation is V = (nRT)/P, where V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and P is the pressure.

3. Why is the molar volume of gases measured at the same temperature and pressure?

The molar volume of gases is measured at the same temperature and pressure because these two factors have a significant impact on the volume of a gas. Temperature affects the kinetic energy of gas particles, while pressure affects their spacing. By keeping these two factors constant, we can accurately compare the volume of different gases.

4. How does the molar volume of gases vary with temperature and pressure?

The molar volume of gases increases with an increase in temperature and decreases with an increase in pressure. This is because an increase in temperature causes gas particles to move faster, resulting in an increase in their kinetic energy and therefore an increase in volume. On the other hand, an increase in pressure decreases the spacing between gas particles, leading to a decrease in volume.

5. How is the molar volume of gases used in stoichiometric calculations?

The molar volume of gases is used in stoichiometric calculations to determine the volume of gases involved in a chemical reaction. By knowing the molar volume, we can convert the number of moles of a gas to its corresponding volume, or vice versa. This is particularly useful in determining the volume of reactants or products involved in a gaseous reaction.