Warranty Coverage for Ticking Computer Power Supply?

In summary, the customer's computer makes a ticking noise that gets worse the more he uses it, and he's unsure if it's the power supply or something else. He's considering getting a replacement power supply, but is also considering contacting the manufacturer about the noise.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Last month I bought a computer online that's delivered already built, and just recently the power supply has begun making a quick ticking sound. I'm unsure if it's the fan or something else, but the ticking sound doesn't start until I'm at my desktop. During boot it's quiet.

Anyway, it's just impossible for me to work at my computer with this ticking going on, and I can't get into the thing to take a closer look without tearing the sticker that voids the warranty, so my question here is if the warranty covers these problems and what I could do if it is covered? Thanks.

p.s. In case it's relevant info, my computer turns itself on from shutdown within minutes to hours after being shut down. I've done as much google troubleshooting as I could on this problem. I don't believe there are any tasks that are waking it from its slumber, and the BIOS has wake on lan disabled, so all I could do to work around the problem is to pull the plug each time it's shut down.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Honestly, I'm not really bothered with the auto-startup right now, it's only a minor hassle that I can tackle later on*. For the moment though, this ticking is just too hindering.

*after spending 3 months with customer service trying to fix my internet, I probably won't be mentally prepared to do any more troubleshooting for quite a while.

Is it a name-brand computer?

Can you make a recording of the ticking? or
find one similar to it, e.g., from www.google.com/search?q=ticking+sound+power+supply&tbm=vid

Personally, I'd ask for a replacement (get an "RMA").

You might have to do a little troubleshooting now... and some complaining to get it replaced soon.
Otherwise, you'll lose the opportunity and end up hating and not really using your computer... possibly doing a lot of troubleshooting later.

my $0.02

If it is not a name-brand computer, some power supply manufacturers (seasonic and corsair I know at least) willing replace noisy units, good if you are comfortable with swapping out your power supply.

If heard some power supplies make a repetitive clicking noise when the voltage regulator goes bad. Definitely RMA if you can.

robphy said:
Is it a name-brand computer?
Not exactly. It was put together by a computer parts company here in Australia.

robphy said:
Can you make a recording of the ticking? or
find one similar to it, e.g., from www.google.com/search?q=ticking+sound+power+supply&tbm=vid
It sounded exactly like the first video in the link.

It's weird though, the ticking had stopped on its own a few weeks ago. The computer still turns on by itself but I circumvent that by shutting off the power after shutdown, but that's nothing like the headache that the ticking noise was giving me.

1. What is a "ticking" computer power supply?

A "ticking" computer power supply refers to a power supply that makes a clicking or ticking noise when turned on. This could be a sign of a malfunction or internal issue with the power supply.

2. Is a ticking computer power supply covered under warranty?

It depends on the specific warranty coverage provided by the manufacturer. Some warranties may cover issues with the power supply, while others may not. It is important to check the terms of your warranty to see if a ticking power supply is covered.

3. What can cause a computer power supply to start ticking?

There are several potential causes for a ticking power supply, including a faulty fan, loose components, or a failing capacitor. It is best to have a professional diagnose the issue to determine the exact cause.

4. How long is the warranty coverage for a computer power supply?

The length of the warranty coverage for a computer power supply can vary depending on the manufacturer. It is important to check the warranty information provided with your computer or power supply to determine the length of coverage.

5. What should I do if my computer power supply starts ticking?

If you have a ticking power supply, it is best to stop using your computer and have it checked by a professional. Continuing to use a malfunctioning power supply can potentially cause further damage to your computer and its components.