Was the collision elastic or not?

In summary, a billiard ball of mass 0.115kg moving with a velocity of 12.5m/s collides head-on with a stationary billiard ball of identical mass and comes to a complete stop. After the collision, the second ball has a velocity of 12.5m/s in the opposite direction, indicating an elastic collision. The total kinetic energy before and after the collision is the same, confirming the elastic nature of the collision.
jaron

Homework Statement

a billiard ball of mass of 0.115kg moves with a velocity of 12.5m/s toward a stationary billiard ball of identical mass and strikes it in a head on collision. the first billiard ball comes to a complete stop. determine whether the collision was elastic.

Homework Equations

Ek1 + Ek2 = Ek1' + Ek2'

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

first i calculate the velocity of the steel ball after being struck by the billiard ball...
mv + mv = mv' + mv'
0.155kg(12.5m/s) = (0.155kg + 0.155kg)v
1.94 = 0.31v
v = 1.94/0.31
v = 6.26m/s

then i calculate the total kinetic energy before the collision (only the billiard ball because the steel ball was idle)

Ek = 1/2mv^2
Ek = 1/2(0.155)(12.5)^2
Ek = 12.1J

then i calculate the total kinetic energy after the collision

Ek + Ek = Ek' + Ek'
12.1 + 1/2(0.155)(0)^2 = 1/2(0.155)(0)^2 + 1/2(0.155)v^2
12.1 = .078v^2
v^2 = 12.1/0.078
v^2 = 155
v = 12.46m/s (but this doesn't make sense...)

so maybe this:
Ek = 1/2(0.155 + 0.155)(6.26)^2
Ek = 0.155(39.20)
Ek = 6.1J

- the answer in the back of my textbook is this:
v=6.32m/s[41.5' counterclockwise from the original direction of the first ball]; the collision is not elastic: Ek = 12.1J; Ek' = 10.2J

i got the first 2 correct but the third one i don't understand. as well.. i am not sure how to know whether something is considered an elastic collision or not)

Physics news on Phys.org
Excuse me,
But I have to disagree with the answer in your textbook.
assume system is isolated , no external forces, thus momentum conserved,
m*V+m*U=m*V'+m*U'
U=0 ,V'=0
we get that U'=V, 1 ball stops and the other one gets the speed of the other one.
thus Ek(initial)= mV^2/2 , Ek(final)=m*U'^2/2
because U'=V
Ek initial =Ek final...
Am I understanding Your question wrong??Do they scatter with an angle?? but it's head to head collision?

ok so are you agreeing with my answers?
and yes it was a head on collision, so there are no angles to worry about.

jaron said:
ok so are you agreeing with my answers?
and yes it was a head on collision, so there are no angles to worry about.

Well given what Dweirdo says, it does look like the final velocity of the other ball is 12.5m/s, which would imply that the collision is elastic.

0.155kg(12.5m/s) = (0.155kg + 0.155kg)v

you also used this to find v. This implies that you assumed the collision was completely inelastic.

Related to Was the collision elastic or not?

1. What is the concept of elasticity in collisions?

Elasticity in collisions refers to the ability of objects to rebound or deform after colliding with each other. This concept is based on the conservation of kinetic energy, where the total energy of a system remains constant before and after a collision.

2. How is the coefficient of restitution related to elasticity in collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity in collisions, and it is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. A higher coefficient of restitution indicates a more elastic collision, where there is less energy lost during the collision.

3. What factors affect the elasticity of collisions?

The elasticity of collisions can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the objects involved, the angle and speed of the collision, and the presence of external forces. In general, objects made of elastic materials, such as rubber, tend to have more elastic collisions compared to objects made of non-elastic materials, such as clay.

4. How does elasticity in collisions affect real-life scenarios?

Elasticity in collisions has various real-life applications, such as in sports equipment, car safety, and ballistics. For example, a tennis racket with a high coefficient of restitution will allow the ball to bounce off with more speed and energy, while a car with airbags utilizes elasticity to reduce the impact force during a collision.

5. Can collisions ever be perfectly elastic?

In theory, collisions can be perfectly elastic, where there is no loss of kinetic energy. However, in reality, there will always be some energy lost due to factors such as friction and air resistance. Therefore, perfectly elastic collisions are not possible in real-life situations, but they can be approximated in certain scenarios.