Water electrolysis with carbon cathode.

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential formation of methane and other hydrocarbons when breaking down water with carbon electrodes. There is also mention of CO2 being produced and the possibility of hydrogen forming bonds with carbon to create a variety of hydrocarbons.
johnbbahm
I was wondering if I breakdown water with a carbon electrodes,
will some methane be formed as well as hydrogen?
In addition if methane is formed could other hydrocarbon chains also occur?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
johnbbahm said:
I was wondering if I breakdown water with a carbon electrodes,
will some methane be formed as well as hydrogen?
In addition if methane is formed could other hydrocarbon chains also occur?
There is very little oxygen liberated, and there seems to be CO2 produced which immediately dissolves.

I was talking about the hydrogen side, the hydrogen is forming on the carbon cathode.
I am thinking some of hydrogen will form bonds with the carbon, to make methane, or perhaps
a broader spectrum of hydrocarbons.

1. What is water electrolysis with carbon cathode?

Water electrolysis with carbon cathode is a process that uses an electric current to split water into its component elements, hydrogen and oxygen. The carbon cathode serves as the negative electrode in this process, attracting positively charged hydrogen ions and facilitating the reaction.

2. How does the carbon cathode work in water electrolysis?

The carbon cathode works by providing a surface for the positively charged hydrogen ions to attach to. This allows the electrons from the electric current to be transferred to the hydrogen ions, causing them to release as hydrogen gas. The carbon also helps to reduce the energy required for the reaction to occur.

3. What are the advantages of using a carbon cathode in water electrolysis?

Carbon cathodes have several advantages in water electrolysis, including their low cost, availability, and stability. They also have a high surface area, which increases the efficiency of the reaction. Additionally, carbon is a good conductor of electricity, making it a suitable material for this process.

4. Are there any limitations to using carbon cathodes in water electrolysis?

While carbon cathodes have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that they are prone to corrosion in the highly acidic or alkaline environments typically used in water electrolysis. This can affect the longevity and effectiveness of the cathode in the process.

5. How is water electrolysis with carbon cathode used in real-world applications?

Water electrolysis with carbon cathode is used in various real-world applications, including hydrogen production for fuel cells, chemical synthesis, and wastewater treatment. It is also being explored as a means of storing excess renewable energy in the form of hydrogen gas, which can then be used as a clean fuel source.