Waveguide Question: TE & TM Waves Explained

• I
  • Thread starter pierce15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveguide
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between TE and TM waves in a waveguide and how a monochromatic plane wave can result in both types of waves in the waveguide. The concept of Fourier analysis is also mentioned as a useful tool for analyzing these types of systems, particularly in the case of a laser beam within a resonant cavity. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how the output of a laser beam can be described in terms of the cavity modes.
pierce15
I am a little confused about the difference between TE and TM waves in a waveguide. Let's say a monochromatic plane wave is incident on a wave guide. Then will this result in both TE and TM waves such that the sum of the guided waves at the entrance of the waveguide agrees with the plane wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
pierce15 said:
I am a little confused about the difference between TE and TM waves in a waveguide.
This issue is that a waveguide does not support transverse electromagnetic (TEM) waves, where both E and B are perpendicular to the direction of propagation. So the waves that propagate must have a component of the electromagnetic field parallel to the direction of propagation. Waves for which the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation are called transverse electric (TE); these waves have a component of the magnetic field along the direction of propagation. Likewise waves for which the magnetic field is perpendicular to the propagation direction are TM, and these waves have a component of E along the propagation direction. But it is also possible for a wave in a waveguide to have components of both E and B along the propagation direction, for example:

pierce15 said:
Then will this result in both TE and TM waves such that the sum of the guided waves at the entrance of the waveguide agrees with the plane wave?
Yep. In general it will excite many TE and TM modes. The wave will have E and B in all directions, including along the direction of propagation.

EDIT: note that in general there will be a wave reflected from the waveguide as well, which complicates things a little. But conceptually you have the right idea. Actually performing these kinds of calculations can be fairly messy and not so insightful, in my experience (from many years ago...).

jason

Last edited:
Thanks, that helps.

An unrelated question, but one that started when I was thinking about this: is it possible to characterize the light coming out of a laser beam as a superposition of plane waves (i.e. Fourier transform of some function)? Or to handle it in some other way while still thinking about E and B?

My intuition is that if you shine a laser into a hollow cavity it seems like it would pass right through without exciting any TE or TM modes, if the width of the laser beam is less than the waveguide radius (assuming circular cylinder).

Yes, Fourier analysis can be useful for these types of systems.

Reagarding the laser beam, for all practical purposes the waveguide has essentially no effect. If you have ever looked through a metal pipe you know that optical frequencies have no trouble propagating. If you want the exact answer, then the waveguide will have a small effect - the extent of which depends on the details of the beam shape ans the size of the waveguide. I suspect it will be unmeasurable in many cases, though.

pierce15 said:
Thanks, that helps.

An unrelated question, but one that started when I was thinking about this: is it possible to characterize the light coming out of a laser beam as a superposition of plane waves (i.e. Fourier transform of some function)? Or to handle it in some other way while still thinking about E and B?

Within a resonant cavity, the EM field consists of stable modes: both longitudinal and transverse. The laser output consists of coupling the internal modes to the outside via a partially reflecting mirror. The usual way to describe the emitted field is to decompose the emitted beam in terms of the cavity modes- most laser output is a single transverse mode (e.g. a Gaussian beam), but higher-order modes (Laguerre-Gaussian or Hermite-Gaussian, depending on the cavity cross-section) are possible as well. Other, more complicated cavities (unstable resonators, for example) have different eigenmodes.

https://courses.engr.illinois.edu/ece455/Files/Galvinlectures/02_CavityModes.pdf

One helpful fact is that the Fourier transform of a Gaussian function is another Gaussian- making it trivial to perform some basic optical analysis.

Thanks to both of you.

1. What is a waveguide?

A waveguide is a structure used to guide electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, and light waves, from one point to another.

2. What are TE and TM waves?

TE (Transverse Electric) and TM (Transverse Magnetic) waves are two types of electromagnetic waves that can propagate through a waveguide. In TE waves, the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while in TM waves, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

3. How are TE and TM waves different?

TE and TM waves differ in terms of their polarization and the way they interact with the walls of a waveguide. TE waves have no electric field component parallel to the walls of the waveguide, while TM waves have no magnetic field component parallel to the walls. This difference in polarization also affects the modes of propagation and the cutoff frequencies of the waves.

4. What are the applications of waveguides?

Waveguides have many applications in various fields, including telecommunications, radar and satellite communication systems, microwave ovens, and medical imaging devices. They are also used in particle accelerators and high-power laser systems.

5. Can TE and TM waves coexist in a waveguide?

Yes, TE and TM waves can coexist in a waveguide. In fact, most practical waveguides support both types of waves simultaneously. However, the propagation characteristics and power distribution of each wave type may be different, and they can interact with each other, leading to interference effects.