Wavelength, period of vibration in seconds

In summary: Period [in seconds] = Wavelength [in meters] / Velocity [in meters/second]Not sure why my Latex isn't rendering correctly. It previews fine. Oh well, the old fashioned way:Period [in seconds] = Wavelength [in meters] / Velocity [in meters/second]
Rick2015
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Okay, I am having trouble with the units. I have the values for the wavenumber and I am trying to find the period.
These are the formulas that I am trying.
T = 1/f ; f = c/lambda

example: lambda = 3657 cm^-1 ; c = 2.998 x 10^8 m/s
I am doing 2.998 x 10^8 m/s / (3657 cm^1 x (1 cm/0.01m))
however, the unit for frequency is Hz = 1/s
I am getting m^2 on the denominator.
Am I using the right formulas?
thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rick2015 said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Okay, I am having trouble with the units. I have the values for the wavenumber and I am trying to find the period.
These are the formulas that I am trying.
T = 1/f ; f = c/lambda

example: lambda = 3657 cm^-1 ; c = 2.998 x 10^8 m/s
I am doing 2.998 x 10^8 m/s / (3657 cm^1 x (1 cm/0.01m))
however, the unit for frequency is Hz = 1/s
I am getting m^2 on the denominator.
Am I using the right formulas?
thanks!

By wavenumber, do you mean wavelength? If so, wavelength has units of meters, not 1/meters.

yes. it is the wavelength. But I am getting m^2

Rick2015 said:
yes. it is the wavelength. But I am getting m^2

So you are given the wavelength, and want to find the period? Start off with the conversion equation that makes sense in terms of units...

[tex]Period = \frac{Wavelength [m]}{Velocity [\frac{m}{s}]}[/tex]

A wavelength has units of meters, not inverse meters.
Inverse meters suggest it is a wavenumber (usually called "k"). You can convert it to a wavelength, or directly use formulas with the wavenumber.

berkeman said:
So you are given the wavelength, and want to find the period? Start off with the conversion equation that makes sense in terms of units...

[tex]Period = \frac{Wavelength [m]}{Velocity [\frac{m}{s}]}[/tex]

Not sure why my Latex isn't rendering correctly. It previews fine. Oh well, the old fashioned way:

Period [in seconds] = Wavelength [in meters] / Velocity [in meters/second]

EDIT -- I see now that using [ s ] without the spaces caused a strikethrough... Duh.

I got it! Thank you!

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and period of vibration?

Wavelength and period of vibration are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the period of vibration decreases, and vice versa.

2. How is the period of vibration calculated?

The period of vibration is calculated by dividing the total time taken for one complete vibration cycle by the number of cycles. It is typically measured in seconds.

3. How does the period of vibration affect the frequency?

The period of vibration and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the period of vibration increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. Frequency is the number of complete vibration cycles per second.

4. What factors can affect the period of vibration?

The period of vibration can be affected by the mass, length, and stiffness of the vibrating object. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and air resistance.

5. How is the period of vibration used in practical applications?

The period of vibration is an important concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and music. It is used to calculate the natural frequency of objects, design structures to withstand vibrations, and determine the pitch of musical instruments.