What are my chances of getting into UCSD as an engineering major

In summary, the speaker is a community college student wondering about their chances of getting into UCSD for an electrical or chemical engineering major. They mention that they will be missing one physics class but have a high GPA of 3.92. They express concern about being rejected for just one course and ask for thoughts from others. Another speaker suggests going to the school's departments and having an interview with decision-makers, as well as finishing all core classes. They also mention that a high GPA may not be enough for top UC schools and that it is a competitive process.
Amy1127
Hello everyone! I'm currently in community college and I'm wondering if anyone knew what my chances were of getting into UCSD and an electrical or chemical engineering major. Upon transferring I would be missing one Physics class (or I would be taking it the summer prior to my first fall quarter) with a cumulative GPA of 3.92. I only get one shot to be admitted and I don't want to be rejected just for one course. What are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you I would go to the schools departments and try and get an interview with the people who would make the decision to let you in, go prepared with all the information that you can that you might need to apply to the school. I don't think missing a course should matter. They want someone who will be a great student and can handle the workload.

Good luck!

Sometimes you have to finish a series at your school or the classes won't count. Sometimes if you don't have your core finished then the application may not be accepted but its something you need to talk to a councelor from the school to be sure. The GPA as of now is fine but after a year of calculus physics and o chem it may be lower. I believe high 3.7 is common for transfers for ucsd(based on friends who get accepted for engineering) and near 4.0 or 4.0 for berkley and ucla. Many students have high GPA from community college and are trying to apply to the big UC's from across the country so its very competitive.

What are my chances of getting into UCSD as an engineering major?

Your chances of getting into UCSD as an engineering major depend on a variety of factors, such as your academic performance, extracurricular activities, and personal essays. UCSD has a competitive admissions process and the acceptance rate for engineering majors is typically lower than other majors. However, if you have a strong academic record and a passion for engineering, your chances of getting accepted increase.

What GPA do I need to have to get into UCSD as an engineering major?

The average GPA for admitted engineering majors at UCSD is around 4.0, which means you need to have a strong academic record to be competitive. However, it's important to note that GPA is not the only factor considered in the admissions process. Admissions committees also look at the rigor of your coursework, your involvement in extracurricular activities, and your personal essays.

Do I need to have specific courses or test scores to get into UCSD as an engineering major?

While there are no specific course requirements for engineering majors at UCSD, it is recommended that you have a strong foundation in math and science courses. It is also important to have a strong score on the SAT or ACT, as these standardized tests are taken into consideration during the admissions process.

What extracurricular activities should I have to get into UCSD as an engineering major?

UCSD values well-rounded individuals, so having a diverse range of extracurricular activities can strengthen your application. In particular, participating in activities related to engineering, such as robotics clubs, coding competitions, or internships, can showcase your interest and aptitude in the field.

Can I increase my chances of getting into UCSD as an engineering major?

Yes, there are several ways you can increase your chances of getting into UCSD as an engineering major. Maintaining a high GPA, participating in relevant extracurricular activities, and obtaining strong test scores are all important factors. Additionally, taking advanced or honors courses in math and science can also demonstrate your readiness for an engineering program. Lastly, writing a strong personal essay that highlights your passion for engineering and how you will contribute to the UCSD community can also positively impact your chances of acceptance.