What are some must-have skills for an engineering student?

In summary: If you can't imagine yourself in the shoes of somebody else, you're probably not going to be a very good engineer.
Donello
Engineering Programs differ from school to school and from country to country.

What are some skills every engineering student must have? More specifically, Electrical Engineering students.

And what are some things I can do during my studies to boost my profile as a fresh engineering graduate.

Likes Thewindyfan
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in the US? Then more than anything else you want an ABET accredited program. They will ensure that you have an agreed-upon set of skills.

Likes Boolean Boogey and jasonRF
I think one of the most important skills is being able to look at a value you just calculated and recognize "that just can't be right." Everyone makes mistakes, even if it is just punching the wrong number into your calculator. Spotting the mistakes and fixing them before they cascade too far is a valuable skill.

Likes jasonRF, epenguin, Thewindyfan and 1 other person
Donello said:
Engineering Programs differ from school to school and from country to country.

What are some skills every engineering student must have? More specifically, Electrical Engineering students.

And what are some things I can do during my studies to boost my profile as a fresh engineering graduate.
Donello's question means something that other forum members are about to miss.
The question is not about courses to be prepared; it is a question of what does someone already know how to do. What skills does someone already have. What experiences, does someone have/have done? What did he build, or construct, or learn how to do, OUTSIDE of any class or course? What tools did someone learn to use? What kinds of repairs has he done? What equipment was he trained to operate? Has he ever disassembled any equipment or devices to see what is inside or to figure out how it works?

symbolipoint said:
Donello's question means something that other forum members are about to miss.
The question is not about courses to be prepared; it is a question of what does someone already know how to do. What skills does someone already have. What experiences, does someone have/have done? What did he build, or construct, or learn how to do, OUTSIDE of any class or course? What tools did someone learn to use? What kinds of repairs has he done? What equipment was he trained to operate? Has he ever disassembled any equipment or devices to see what is inside or to figure out how it works?
Exactly, do you know any credible answer to this ?

I want to know this as well. I have extensive hands on experience but very minimal design experience. Will this help me when I have an engineering degree?

Boolean Boogey said:
I want to know this as well. I have extensive hands on experience but very minimal design experience. Will this help me when I have an engineering degree?
YES.

Donello said:
Exactly, do you know any credible answer to this ?
I barely have any credible answer to it, if you are placing that question back to me. What I say still makes sense. Does the world want engineers with no previous practical experiences? I believe not. More knowledgeable members may be able to answer instead.

Once, someone showed me how to use a fairly crude spectrograph and perform some tasks related to its use. Some of this was photographic film processing. I had a few years before, been directly taught how to process black&white film, so training me to do this again was a very smooth process for me and for the person who essentially retrained me. This is just a single example.
Maybe not an engineer, but there was a famous computer scientist who at one time took-apart an A.M. radio because she wanted to know what was inside and maybe to figure out how it worked. This seems to be something that a person might want to try if they were the type of person who might want to become a scientist or engineer.

It's rarely mentioned, but some skills for a great engineer to have are business sense and good communication skills. Being savvy in business will help you determine not only "can I design this?", but "is it economically viable to design this?" Further, as you advance in your career it's likely you'll end up in more leadership and project management roles. Viable communication abilities also come into play; can you accurately convey your ideas to the higher ups? Can you convince consumers to go with your product rather than the competitors?

This isn't always taught in school, but is something every great engineer becomes proficient at - at one point or another.

Likes jasonRF
I asked this question to my uncle who's an electrical engineer in upper management at a power company in the US and all he said was, "If you can't network, you can't find a job."

I think imagination, or atleast one my professors told me. He said it separated the average engineer from the great.

1. What are the most important technical skills for an engineering student?

The most important technical skills for an engineering student include proficiency in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, knowledge of engineering software and programming languages is crucial for success in the field.

2. Are communication skills important for an engineering student?

Yes, good communication skills are essential for an engineering student. Engineers often work in teams and must be able to effectively communicate their ideas and solutions to their colleagues and clients.

3. Why is problem-solving considered a must-have skill for engineering students?

Problem-solving skills are crucial for engineering students because they need to be able to identify and address complex problems in order to design and create innovative solutions. This skill is at the core of the engineering profession.

4. What role do time management and organization play in the success of an engineering student?

Time management and organization are critical for an engineering student to balance coursework, projects, and other responsibilities. These skills help students stay on track and meet deadlines, which is essential in the fast-paced world of engineering.

5. How can an engineering student develop their teamwork skills?

Engineering students can develop their teamwork skills by participating in group projects, joining clubs or organizations related to their field of study, and actively seeking out opportunities to collaborate with their peers. They can also work on effective communication and conflict resolution to improve their ability to work in a team.