What are Supernovae and Hypernovae? Any resources or insights?

• Thread starter EMLAY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernovae
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of super and hypernovae. The initial request was for any resources or information on the subject. The offer of a Wikipedia link was deemed inadequate by the student, who was looking for more academic sources. There was a discussion about the availability of resources in university libraries and the use of online sources. The conversation also touched on the different types of supernovae and the poster's offer to provide more information on the mechanisms involved. The conversation ended with a polite thank you and a request for more information.
EMLAY
Was looking for information on the aforementioned Super and hypernovae. Any resources wud be nice as well as anything you might just know about them !

thanks in advance,
Pretty Emlay xxx

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypernova"
"[URL
Supernova[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well actually I'm a degree student looking for information, so although I am grateful of your offer of a wiki link, its not really enough. I'm looking for some academic work on the subject so I can write an essay. Finding books sucks, but any sort of decent online resource with credibility is good, as is any info you might have.

You really think I am so retarded that I'm able to find a physics forum and register, but not able to do a wiki search?

Thanks for any more help,
Pretty Emlay xxx

*bump*

Pretty Emlay xxx

EMLAY said:
Well actually I'm a degree student looking for information, so although I am grateful of your offer of a wiki link, its not really enough. I'm looking for some academic work on the subject so I can write an essay. Finding books sucks, but any sort of decent online resource with credibility is good, as is any info you might have.

Well the wiki page has a lost of references at the bottom, perhaps that would be a good place to start.

Do you not have access to a library at university? It's a bit unfair to expect people to dig up online sources just because you're too lazy to look for books.

Just a note, based on what I've observed, you won't be able to use what we post here for you in an essay. You can use any resources we post, but you won't be allowed to reference peoples posts.

Regardless, without directly specifying your required level in the OP, no one was to know wiki was 'below' you.

I'll leave it to someone who has knowledge in this area to provide further sources.
You really think I am so retarded that I'm able to find a physics forum and register, but not able to do a wiki search?

Don't take it personally, but there are a lot of people who manage to get here, register and ask a question and never consider a simple Google search.
EMLAY said:
*bump*

There's no need to bump posts - especially not this soon. Each new post acts as a bump so "bumping" it minutes after your last post is pointless.

Okay, thanks for your help

With regards to the book, the library at university is limited, and as you know lots of the work there is outdated so its hard.

Wiki isn't below me, but its below the university ha ha :P

Thanks for the help in any event,
Pretty Emlay xxx

I am not a degree student,yet but I will be very soon.

Of the types of supernovae I can recall is the common type II and elusive type Ia supernovae(linked to accretion induced collapse theory).

If you need any information on the mechanism of the above ones,let me know.

Sorry If my post came short of any help.
Regards,
ibysaiyan

would love to know more on this, thanks for posting,

Pretty Emlay xxx

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs at the end of a star's life cycle. It is the largest explosion that can happen in the universe and releases an enormous amount of energy and matter into space.

2. How do supernovae form?

Supernovae form when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and can no longer generate enough pressure to support its core. The core then collapses, triggering a massive explosion that destroys the star.

3. What is the difference between a Type I and Type II supernova?

Type I supernovae occur in binary star systems, where one star is a white dwarf and the other is a giant star. The white dwarf pulls material from the giant star until it reaches a critical mass and explodes. Type II supernovae occur in single stars and are caused by the core collapse of a massive star.

4. What is a hypernova?

A hypernova is a type of supernova that is significantly more energetic and brighter than a regular supernova. It is thought to be caused by the collapse of a very massive star or the merging of two neutron stars.

5. Can supernovae and hypernovae be dangerous to Earth?

Supernovae and hypernovae that occur within our own galaxy are unlikely to pose a threat to Earth. However, if a supernova exploded close enough to our planet, it could cause significant damage to the ozone layer and potentially harm life on Earth. However, there are no known supernova candidates that pose a threat to our planet at this time.