What are the benefits of obtaining multiple engineering degrees?

• Thread starter Seth0Mitchell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: You're on the right track. Get your masters in mechanical engineering, and then you can apply for jobs in civil or electrical engineering. However, it's not always necessary to have a masters in order to work in these fields.
Seth0Mitchell
Hello,
I'm currently studying Drafting and Design at a community college. I've always loved engineering and dreamed of someday being an engineer. After completion of my current program I plan on getting into a mechanical engineering and Physics program at Tulane/Vanderbilt. I also plan on getting my Masters in mechanical.

I was wondering, how useful would it be to also gain my masters in electrical and civil engineering as well? I've always loved all three fields. I'm very much interested in electricity and magnetism, and I've always wanted to build bridges and large structures as well. This would probably be something a did after sometime working in mechanical(5-10 years) but it is something I would love to do.

The field I'd like to work in is pretty much free/alternative energy solutions. And I definitely see all three of these benefiting that. I'm just looking for some professional advice.

I was also curious as to how useful you think my d&d degree will end up being. I'm more or less getting it so I can work while in school for engineering, and to give me field experience during that time. I started college a little later that normal(at 21) due to financial situations and just the need to experience a little life first. Do you think my late entry into engineering will be detrimental to my plight? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Seth.
As someone who shares your love of engineering, but never finished high-school, I believe that one can never learn too much. If it's financially and socially within your means, study everything that interests you. If not, then concentrate your formal education upon what you need in order to obtain a career, and learn as much as you can on your own in other areas. Read a lot, audit classes... whatever.

Hi, Seth, welcome to the forum.

While studying is a lot of fun, and I wish I could simply be at school all the time and study all the fields I am interested in...there is this other little issue about having to support myself economically and the family and spend time with the family.

So, if you already have the money to support yourself for the next 8 to 10 and don't mind spending such money on education..go for it...3 bachelors and 3 masters, that should be a lot of fun.

On the other hand, I don't think you have to make a decision for all that, right now...pick one first and see how it goes...while in mechanical engineering, if you can handle that load and life and would like to take on more load...maybe you can finish up another bachelors, too, like Civil engineering...that thing is that if you plan to do all of that simultaneously, I doubt you would be able to learn them well...baby steps, man, baby steps...

I would focus on one thing at a time. I would suggest going for the bachelors in mechanical. You will definitely have some overlap in the standard suite of courses. Additionally, you could check into the feasibility of taking some of your technical electives in civil or electrical. Find out which you really like.

You may find that while you're interested in all three fields in a "I think it would be cool to do X" way, you may or may not like them once you're actually plugging through problem sets in "Bridge Design 327", for example.

Re-evaluate where you want to go in your Junior or Senior year once you've actually gotten some courses down in each topic.

Starting late will not hold you back. Speaking from personal experience, it actually may help. I dropped out of college after a year (was thrown out, actually). Went back to community college at 23, transferred to a 4 year school and got my Bachelors at 27. Now I work in the aerospace industry.

I assume your D&D courses include CAD...AutoCad or Microstation for example. Knowledge of computer drafting is a big plus when you apply for a job in the the Civil, Mechanical or Electrical field.

Thanks for your input guys. it's really helped a lot. I just have one more question. Say I end up getting my BS in Mechanical and Physics and my masters in Mechanical, how logical would it be to also get a masters in electrical or civil. The school I would like to get my masters in mech requires you to study a minor. I was thinking have my minor be one of those and then after I'm done with the program go part time and get my masters in electrical.

Once you have your masters, more degrees won't help much. Companies will be more impressed with work experience than another 2 or 4 years of schooling.

Yeah, I had a friend who called all his degrees 'wall paper.' What's the point? You can study anything you want on your own. What you should be learning in school is how to teach yourself. Then you can spend the rest of your life learning.

Yeah, I had a friend who called all his degrees 'wall paper.' What's the point? You can study anything you want on your own. What you should be learning in school is how to teach yourself. Then you can spend the rest of your life learning.

Yea, degrees serve two main purposes:
1) Teach you how to learn and how to teach yourself so that you can use critical thinking skills in industry
2) Certify that you have had fundamental training in your field so that when someone hires you they know that you are familiar with the principles and are capable of doing what is expected of you.

What is a "lover of engineering"?

A lover of engineering is someone who has a passion for understanding and applying principles of science and mathematics to design, build, and improve practical structures, systems, and machines.

What are the qualities of a good lover of engineering?

A good lover of engineering is curious, analytical, detail-oriented, creative, persistent, and able to think critically and solve problems effectively.

What are some common fields of engineering that a lover of engineering might be interested in?

There are many different fields of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, biomedical, and computer engineering. A lover of engineering might be interested in one or more of these fields based on their specific interests and strengths.

What are some important skills that a lover of engineering should have?

Some important skills for a lover of engineering include strong math and science skills, technical knowledge, problem-solving abilities, project management skills, and the ability to work well in a team.

What are some potential career paths for a lover of engineering?

A lover of engineering could pursue a career in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, energy, or healthcare. They could also work as a researcher, consultant, or entrepreneur in the field of engineering.