What Are the Best Double Major Options for Aspiring Robotics Engineers?

In summary, The individual is considering taking a double major in electrical engineering and is unsure of what the second major should be. They are interested in robotics and have considered mechanical engineering or computer science as potential options. They also mention the possibility of mechatronic engineering, but question if it would provide enough specialization. They also mention that some countries may allow double majors in engineering. Ultimately, they are seeking advice on which major would be better for robotics and future career opportunities, with computer science being suggested for programming and AI.
Muon neutrino
Hi guys,
I'm thinking to take double major but not sure which major should i take. I want to take electrical engineering as the first one but not so sure for the second one.

Might mechanical engineering would be a good one? Or computer science is better?

Thanks guys!

PS : I'm interested in robotics and stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Muon neutrino.

Are you even allowed to double major in engineering? (AFAIK, you pick a single major).

You might want to see if you can do mechatronic engineering (which combines electrical and mechanical areas together). The only thing though, is that you will want to check if you don't specialize enough as opposed to doing so if you took a single standard program.

Muon neutrino said:
Might mechanical engineering would be a good one? Or computer science is better?

Better for what?

I looked into robotics for a brief period over the summer. Computer science is preferable if you want to do the programming and AI.

chiro said:
Are you even allowed to double major in engineering? (AFAIK, you pick a single major).

You might want to see if you can do mechatronic engineering (which combines electrical and mechanical areas together). The only thing though, is that you will want to check if you don't specialize enough as opposed to doing so if you took a single standard program.

some countries may allowed it, and some don't.
Well, i WAS a mechatronic engineering student, but some things turn out and i had to transfer to other country university. That's why i want to major in a similar way with MT engineering.

Jozape said:
I looked into robotics for a brief period over the summer. Computer science is preferable if you want to do the programming and AI.

Is it only good for AI? I mean we'll also learn the basic programming in EE.

Crake said:
Better for what?
Better for robotics, and future career opportunities perhaps.

Related to What Are the Best Double Major Options for Aspiring Robotics Engineers?

1. Can I double major in completely different fields?

It is possible to double major in completely different fields, but it may require a heavier course load and may take longer to complete. It is important to carefully plan and prioritize your courses to ensure you can successfully complete both majors.

2. How do I choose which majors to double major in?

When considering a double major, it is important to choose two fields that you are passionate about and have a strong interest in. It may also be beneficial to choose majors that have some overlap in terms of course requirements to make it more manageable.

3. Will a double major make me more competitive in the job market?

A double major can make you stand out in the job market, especially if the two fields are complementary. However, it is important to also gain practical experience and skills through internships, research, or extracurricular activities to make yourself a well-rounded candidate.

4. Can I still graduate on time with a double major?

Graduating on time with a double major is possible, but it may require careful planning and possibly taking summer courses. Some universities also have limits on the number of credits a student can take, so it is important to check with your academic advisor.

5. How do I manage the workload of a double major?

Managing the workload of a double major can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize your time and stay organized. Communicating with your professors and seeking help when needed can also help manage the workload. It may also be beneficial to take advantage of resources such as tutoring or study groups.