What are the confusing questions about structural I beams and cones?

• Thread starter rumaithya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation is about two confusing questions. The first question involves determining the mass of a section of an I beam made of steel, along with the number of atoms in the section. The second question involves identifying mensuration expressions that describe different measurements of a frustrum of a cone. The person asking for help has not been able to find the volume or depth in the first question and is unsure about the second question. They are seeking assistance and have been advised to show their attempted solutions before receiving further help.
rumaithya
Two confusing questions :(

Hello, I have two questions but I'm getting confused with them. Can someone help me please ?
____

1) A structural I beam is made of steel. A view its cross-section and its dimensions are shown in: http://web.csuchico.edu/~ma260/physics/phys.jpg
The density of the steel is 7.56 * 10^3 kg/m^3.

(a) What is the mass of a section 1.50 m long ?
(b) Assume that the atoms are predominantly iron, with atomic mass 55.9 u. How many atoms are in this section ?

____

2) The picture in http://web.csuchico.edu/~ma260/physics/phys2.JPG shows a frustrum of a cone. Of the following mensuration (gecometrical) expressions, which describes:
(a) The total circumference of the flat circular faces.
(b) The volume.
(c) The area of the curved surface ?
(i) pi(r1 + r2) [h^2 + (r1 - r2)^2]^1/2
(ii) 2pi(r1 + r2)
(iii) pi * h(r1^2 + r1r2 + r2^2)

____

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far ?

1a) Before finding the mass what do you first need to find ? How would you do this ?
(b) What rule tells you about the number of atoms of a substance ?

2. How will you go about this ?

Our policy is to help you once you show what you've tried or how you think you should go about it.

hello, thanks for replaying.

1) (a) I know that o = m/v and the density is given but I couldn't find the volume from the diagram. that's a weird diagram. I don't see a measurement for depth either. All i know is to find the volume of each rectangle and add them. then solve for the mass.

(b) after getting the mass it's easy i know how to solve.

2) I really have no idea about this question :(

i think the trick for the second question is just to keep track of units. for the circumference you should end up with units of length (such as ft, m, cm, etc.), for the surface area lengthxlength, and volume lengthxlengthxlength.

1. What are the two confusing questions?

The two confusing questions refer to a common scenario in which two questions are asked together, making it difficult to determine which one to answer first. This can lead to confusion and misunderstandings if not handled properly.

2. Why are these questions considered confusing?

These questions are considered confusing because they are often unrelated or require different levels of knowledge to answer. This can make it challenging for the listener to understand the intended meaning and respond appropriately.

3. How can I avoid asking two confusing questions?

One way to avoid asking two confusing questions is to break them up into separate questions. This allows for a clear understanding and response to each question. It is also important to consider the context and audience when formulating questions.

4. What are some strategies for handling two confusing questions?

Some strategies for handling two confusing questions include clarifying the intended meaning with the person asking the question, prioritizing which question to answer first, and asking for clarification if needed. It can also be helpful to take a moment to gather your thoughts before responding.

5. Can two confusing questions be beneficial in any way?

While two confusing questions can be challenging, they can also lead to deeper discussions and a better understanding of the topic at hand. It can also highlight areas where further clarification may be needed, leading to more effective communication in the long run.