What are the dimensions for a, b, and c?

In summary, the given equations involve finding the dimensions of a, b, and c, with the unknown variables being time (t) and length (x). The dimensions for a and b in the first equation are found to be MLT-3 and MLT-4, respectively. However, the dimensions for c and x in the second equation cannot be determined without further information.
NeerajKarthi

Homework Statement

Equation 1: Find the dimensions of a,b

F = at + bt2
F - force
a - Some unkown value
b - Some unkown value
t - time

In this equation we must find the dimensions of a and b which i did but, in the next similar equation

Equation 2: Find the dimensions of a,b,c

F = at + bt2 + cx3
F - force
a - Some unkown value
b - Some unkown value
t - time
c - Some unkown value
x - Unknown

I don't know how to find out dimensions for c as i don't know what is the dimensions for x here.

Homework Equations

F = at + bt2

The Attempt at a Solution

F = MLT-3

For the 1st equation, i got

a = MLT-3
b = MLT-4

For c= ? I don't know how to find.
What is the dimensions for x also?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the only information you have?
Maybe x is in meters (x is sometimes used for length). Otherwise I am pretty sure you can't solve it.

Likes NeerajKarthi
Replusz said:
Is that the only information you have?
Maybe x is in meters (x is sometimes used for length). Otherwise I am pretty sure you can't solve it.
Well, thanks a lot. After checking through i guess x might be length. And can you please post the answer so that i can cross check. Thanks

NeerajKarthi said:
Well, thanks a lot. After checking through i guess x might be length. And can you please post the answer so that i can cross check. Thanks
That's not how PF works. You're supposed to work out you own answers. Posting worked out solutions for others on the HW forums is a violation of the rules.

Likes NeerajKarthi
NeerajKarthi said:
F = MLT-3

[Force] = MLT-2

Likes NeerajKarthi

Related to What are the dimensions for a, b, and c?

What is dimensional homogenity?

Dimensional homogenity is a concept in science that refers to the consistency or balance of physical units in a mathematical equation or calculation. It ensures that the units on both sides of an equation are the same, which is important for the validity and accuracy of scientific calculations.

Why is dimensional homogenity important in science?

Dimensional homogenity is important because it helps scientists to check the validity of their calculations and to detect any errors. It also allows for easier comparison of different equations or data, as they will have consistent units.

How is dimensional homogenity achieved?

Dimensional homogenity is achieved by using dimensional analysis, which is a method of converting units and checking their consistency. This involves identifying the base units in an equation and ensuring that they are equal on both sides.

What happens if dimensional homogenity is not maintained?

If dimensional homogenity is not maintained, it can lead to incorrect results and false conclusions. It can also make it difficult to compare data or equations and can cause confusion in scientific communication.

Are there any exceptions to dimensional homogenity?

Yes, there are some situations where dimensional homogenity may not be necessary. For example, in certain theoretical models or equations, the units may cancel out and not affect the final result. However, in most cases, dimensional homogenity should be maintained for accurate and reliable scientific calculations.