What are the dynamics of a spiral movement?

In summary, a spiral movement is created when a centripetal force increases linearly with time. It can be created with a magnetic field or charged particle moving perpendicularly to the field.
irdeg

Homework Statement

As you'll know, the driving force for a circular movement is a centripetal force. But wat is the dynamics for a spiral movement, i.e. an increasing circular movement? And how can I produce it, let's say for a little spherical object, in real life?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess there will also be a force parallel to the velocity. I don't know how to create a force that is allways parallel to the velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi irdeg,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Maybe try thinking about what would happen if the "centripetal" force happened to not actually point towards the center, but instead was directed at some constant angle to the radius vector.

upload_2018-10-11_17-17-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-11_17-17-39.png
    upload_2018-10-11_17-17-39.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,229
irdeg said:
a spiral movement,
Which type of spiral? Geometric, arithmetic...?

gneill said:
Hi irdeg,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Maybe try thinking about what would happen if the "centripetal" force happened to not actually point towards the center, but instead was directed at some constant angle to the radius vector.

View attachment 232086
So, there will be a component parallel to the velocity and the radius of the circle would grow over time. How could I, practically create something like that?

haruspex said:
Which type of spiral? Geometric, arithmetic...?
I would prefer arithmetic.

Regardless of how an object is moving, its acceleration (and hence the force acting on it) will be perpendicular to the velocity unless the speed is increasing or decreasing. This follows directly from differentiating ##v^2 = \vec v^2## with respect to time.

Now, this means that in an accelerated circular motion (i.e., increasing speed) there is also a force component parallel to the velocity, but this is true regardless of the shape of the motion.

irdeg said:
So, there will be a component parallel to the velocity and the radius of the circle would grow over time. How could I, practically create something like that?
That's a very vague question. What are the boundaries on your definition of "practical"?

gneill said:
So a "practical" demonstration might be to have a charged particle moving perpendicularly to an increasing or decreasing magnetic field, hence continuously changing the centripetal force.
Yes, and you would not need it to vary over time. It could be a field which is strongest at some central axis then falling off at greater radii. Depending on the injection parameters the particle could spiral in or out.

Likes gneill and Charles Link
gneill said:
So a "practical" demonstration might be to have a charged particle moving perpendicularly to an increasing or decreasing magnetic field, hence continuously changing the centripetal force.
The one problem I see with that is the time varying magnetic field necessarily generates an EMF with a component parallel to the path so that the electron will necessarily speed up, and the simple result that follows from the equations that say the particle will have constant speed will not apply. In addition the particle radiates which will cause the particle to slow down. ## \\ ## Because the accelerating (because of the circular path) charged particle radiates, it is found charged particles in a uniform magnetic field do follow a spiral path. I believe I have seen cloud chamber experiments at Fermilab that showed this result.

Likes gneill

What is a spiral movement?

A spiral movement is a type of motion where an object or organism moves in a circular or helical pattern around a central axis. This can occur in both natural and artificial systems, and can be seen in various scales from the microscopic to the macroscopic level.

What causes a spiral movement?

The cause of a spiral movement can vary depending on the system in question. In natural systems, spiral movements can be caused by various factors such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetic forces, and genetic programming. In artificial systems, spiral movements can be intentionally created through mechanical or electronic means.

What are the applications of studying the dynamics of spiral movement?

Studying the dynamics of spiral movement has various applications in different fields. In biology, it can help us understand the behavior and locomotion of organisms such as bacteria, plants, and animals. In physics, it can aid in understanding the motion and forces involved in natural phenomena such as weather patterns and galaxy formation. In engineering, it can inform the design of machines and structures that utilize spiral movements.

What factors affect the speed and direction of a spiral movement?

The speed and direction of a spiral movement can be influenced by multiple factors. In natural systems, external forces such as wind or water currents can affect the speed and direction of spiral movement. In artificial systems, factors such as the shape and size of the object, the medium it is moving through, and the amount of energy input can impact the speed and direction of the spiral movement.

How can the study of spiral movement contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The study of spiral movement has significant implications in our understanding of the universe. Spiral movements can be seen in various cosmic phenomena such as the formation of galaxies and the motion of celestial bodies. By studying the dynamics of spiral movement, we can gain insights into the fundamental laws of physics and how they govern the behavior of the universe.