What Are the Eigenvalues of A Transpose A?

In summary, if A is an m x n matrix with rank(A) = m < n, we can say that 0 is an eigenvalue of A^{T}A and the spectral theorem states that for a symmetric matrix, all eigenvalues are real and the matrix is diagonalizable.

Homework Statement

Let A be an m x n matrix with rank(A) = m < n. As far as the eigenvalues of [itex]A^{T}A[/itex] is concerned we can say that...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If eigenvalues exist, then

[itex]A^{T}A[/itex]x = λx where x ≠ 0.

The only thing I think I can show is that 0 is an eigenvalue:

If 0 is an eigenvalue for [itex]A^{T}A[/itex] then

[itex]A^{T}A[/itex]x = (0)x where x ≠ 0.

N(A) ≠ {0}, so Ax = 0 where x ≠ 0.

Therefore [itex]A^{T}(Ax) = 0[/itex] where x ≠ 0. So λ = 0 is an eigenvalue for [itex]A^{T}A[/itex].

Is there anything else that can be said about the eigenvalues for this matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you hear about the spectral theorem for symmetric matrices?

No, that wasn't covered in my course so I suppose that's not what the professor is looking for. Is it relatively ea

3.141592654 said:
No, that wasn't covered in my course so I suppose that's not what the professor is looking for. Is it relatively ea

If A^T*A*x=lambda*x what happens if you multiply both sides on the left by x^T? No, you don't need the spectral theorem.

3.141592654 said:

Spectral theorem says that a symmetric matrix is diagonalizable.
In particular, a real nxn symmetric matrix has n real eigenvalues.

1. What are eigenvalues of A transpose A?

The eigenvalues of A transpose A are the set of numbers that represent the scaling factor by which a nonzero vector is transformed when multiplied by the matrix. They are also known as characteristic values or latent roots.

2. How are eigenvalues of A transpose A calculated?

Eigenvalues of A transpose A can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix A. This polynomial is obtained by subtracting the variable lambda from the diagonal elements of A and taking the determinant of the resulting matrix.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues of A transpose A?

Eigenvalues of A transpose A have several important applications in linear algebra, including determining the stability of a system of differential equations, finding the principal components of a dataset, and optimizing matrix operations.

4. Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues of A transpose A?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues of A transpose A. Complex eigenvalues occur when the matrix has complex entries or when the matrix is not symmetric.

5. How do eigenvalues of A transpose A relate to the singular values of A?

The eigenvalues of A transpose A are equal to the squares of the singular values of A. This relationship is important in many applications, such as principal component analysis and matrix decomposition.