What are the formulas for solving sets A and B?

In summary: According to any of these rules how do you answer those question because I have NO IDEA how toThere are a variety of methods that can be used to answer these questions. One of the most common methods is to use formulas. Another method is to use logic.
nickar1172
Which formula's would you use to solve each set and please show the actual formulas please thank you for the help I really appreciate it as I need to know this for my final exam tomorrow, thank you!

a) solving for neither set A and neither set B b) Solving for set A or Set B, but not bothc) Solving for set B given set Ad) Solving for set B given that he does not have Set A

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

I probably need some more information. Are you simply asked to write these concepts mathematically, like $A \cap B$?

Jameson said:
Hi again,

I probably need some more information. Are you simply asked to write these concepts mathematically, like $A \cap B$?

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about

nickar1172 said:
Yes that is exactly what I am talking about

Ok well we can use $A, A^c, B, B^c$ for referring to the sets and we can also use $\cup, \cap$. What do you get for the first one?

(by the way, $\cup$ means "or" and $\cap$ means "and")

If I new I wouldn't be asking the question...
Postulates for Probability - P(A) >= 0, P(S) = 1
Special Addition Rule (mutually exclusive) - If A ∩ B = ∅, then P(A ∪ B) = P(A) + P(B)
General Addition Rule - P(A ∪ B) = P(A) + P(B) – P(A ∩ B)
Probability and Odds (odds of A to B) - a / (a + b)
Conditional Probability - P(A | B) = P(A ∩ B) / P(B) provided that P(B) ≠ 0
General Multiplication Rule - P(A ∩ B) = P(A) . P(B | A)
Special Multiplication Rule(Independent events) - P(A ∩ B) = P(A) . P(B)
Multiplication Rules - if event B is independent of event A, then P(B | A) = P(A)

according to any of these rules how do you answer those question because I have NO IDEA how to

I didn't ask you what the correct answer was, rather what you think it is. If I just give you the answer that isn't helping you very much. We try to help you learn the material so you can answer it yourself. :)

Ok, (a) is $A^c \cap B^c$. Put into words this is "not A and not B". For (b), what is "A or B" in symbolic language? What is "A and B"?

I know what and or means I just need to know how to solve those questions, at this point it is not about "understanding" anything I just need to put this down on a formula sheet these answers so when I see this on the exam I know what to plug in like a machine, the entire semester has passed and I still don't know and I don't want to understand I just want to get an 80 on my test tomorrow so I don't fail the class all I need is those answered in mathematical notation if you can help me than I greatly appreciate it if not than no problem

Related to What are the formulas for solving sets A and B?

What are events and sets in statistics?

Events and sets are important concepts in statistics that help us understand the likelihood of certain outcomes or occurrences. In simple terms, an event is any outcome or occurrence that we are interested in, while a set is a collection of events.

What is the difference between a union and intersection of sets?

The union of two sets is the collection of all elements that are present in either or both sets, while the intersection is the collection of elements that are present in both sets. In other words, the union represents all possible outcomes, while the intersection represents shared outcomes.

How do you calculate the probability of an event using a formula?

The probability of an event can be calculated using the formula: P(E) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes. This means that the probability is equal to the number of outcomes we are interested in, divided by the total number of outcomes in the sample space.

What is the complement of an event?

The complement of an event is the set of all outcomes that are not included in the event. In other words, it represents all possible outcomes that are not of interest to us. The complement of an event is denoted by the symbol 'E' with a small 'c' on the top: Eᶜ.

How do events and sets help in data analysis?

Events and sets are crucial in data analysis as they help us to organize and understand the data we are working with. By identifying events and defining sets, we can calculate probabilities, make predictions, and draw conclusions from our data. They also allow us to compare and contrast different outcomes, which is essential in decision making and problem-solving.