What are the rules for finding Maclaurin series for e^x?

In summary, the Maclaurin series for e^x can be written as the sum of the first two terms of the series of e^x, 0 and 1, plus my series from n=2 to infinity of what's given. If you are starting in the reverse direction, looking for the Maclaurin series of some form of e^x, what's a good way to think of that? I know that for e^x, it's just the standard series we've been talking about.
forestmine

Homework Statement

I'm just trying to understand a few things about the Maclaurin series for e^x...

So, in one case, if you have a series from 1 to infinity of [(-1)^n * 3^n ]/n!, how is it that it is equal to e^-3 - 1? I understand the e^-3 part, as -3 is simply our x value from the series. Is the negative one simply because the series starts at 1, or does it have something to do with the alternating portion of the series? I'm a bit confused there...

And then say we have xe^x. If I wanted to find the Maclaurin series for this one, well, I know that the value that e is raised to will take the place of x in the series. As for the x hanging out in the front, do I simply add that to the series? So the series would be from 0 to infinity, x^n+1 / n!

I guess I'm just looking for some general rules when dealing with the Maclaurin series for e^x...

Any help in the right direction would be great.

Thanks!

Homework Equations

e^x = series (0 to infinity) x^n/n!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
the sums start at different values of n.

[itex]e^{x}=\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/itex]

[itex]e^{-3}=\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{(-3)^{n}}{n!}=\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}3^{n}}{n!}=1+\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n}3^{n}}{n!}[/itex]

Therefore...

[itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n}3^{n}}{n!}=e^{-3}-1[/itex]

And yes, you are right about the second part with xex

I'm sorry, I don't really follow. If the series starts at 1, we'd like to account for that since we know the expansion which starts from 0, right?

I guess I don't really understand what exactly is going on in the last two terms you wrote in the second l understand right up until you have the 1 + ... in front of the series. I see you've changed the index to 1 at that point, and yet you're adding 1 out front?

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it!

Yes, because if you plug n=0 into (-1)n3n/n! you get 1. So the first term of the series is 1. The index becomes 1 because we just wrote the first term ((-1)030/0!=1) outside of the sum.

Ahh ok, I see. So in your last line, you're compensating for the + 1 by subtracting it from e^-3. Ok, thanks a lot. That makes sense. Thanks a lot.

So, in general, if I'm given a series of e^x starting at say 2, then I can write the series as being the sum of the first two terms of the series of e^x, 0 and 1, plus my series from n=2 to infinity of what's given?

Yes, exactly. Only the first term of the series ex is 1 and the second term is x. So...

[itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=2}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}=-1-x+\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/itex]

Last edited:
Ok, got it!

And then if I'm starting in the reverse direction, looking for the Maclaurin series of some form of e^x, what's a good way to think of that? I know that for e^x, it's just the standard series we've been talking about. And then if e^x is divided, multiplied, or added to anything, do I do the same exact operation to the series?

Hm, how come it's -1 and -x?

Ah nevermind, it's because the series it's being added to starts from 0, right?

Can that also be written as,

1 + x + series (2 to infinity) x^n/n!

Okay, sorry. Let me be more clear:

[itex]e^x=\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}=1+x+\sum^{∞}_{n=2}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/itex]

Therefore, if we subtract 1 and x from both sides...

[itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=2}\frac{x^{n}}{n!}=-1-x+e^{x}=-1-x+\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/itex]

Better?

Yes, perfect. Thanks a lot for all the help.

One last question...If I'm starting in the reverse direction, looking for the Maclaurin series of some form of e^x, what's a good way to think of that? I know that for e^x, it's just the standard series we've been talking about. And then if e^x is divided, multiplied, or added to anything, do I do the same exact operation to the series?

And then if I'm starting in the reverse direction, looking for the Maclaurin series of some form of e^x, what's a good way to think of that? I know that for e^x, it's just the standard series we've been talking about. And then if e^x is divided, multiplied, or added to anything, do I do the same exact operation to the series?

If you add two series, make sure the indices start at the same value of n:

[itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=0}x+\sum^{∞}_{n=0}x^{2}=\sum^{∞}_{n=0}(x+x^{2})[/itex]

If you are trying to find the series of a series multiplied or divided by x, you just add or subtract to the exponent:

[itex]\frac{1}{x}\sum^{∞}_{n=0}x^{3}=\sum^{∞}_{n=0}x^{2}[/itex]

But if you are multiplying or dividing two completely different Maclaurin series, you'd have to use multiplication or polynomial long division. For instance...

[itex]\frac{sinx}{cosx}=\frac{\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}}{\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}{(2n)!}}≠\sum^{∞}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}(2n)!}{(2n+1)!(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Ok, excellent. Thank you so much!

Related to What are the rules for finding Maclaurin series for e^x?

1. What is a Maclaurin series for e^x?

A Maclaurin series is a representation of a mathematical function as an infinite sum of terms, based on the values of its derivatives at a single point. The Maclaurin series for e^x is an infinite series that represents the function e^x, also known as the exponential function, centered at x=0.

2. How is a Maclaurin series for e^x calculated?

The Maclaurin series for e^x can be calculated using the formula: e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + x^4/4! + ... = ∑(x^n/n!), where n ranges from 0 to infinity. This formula is derived from the Taylor series, which approximates a function using its derivatives at a single point.

3. What is the significance of the Maclaurin series for e^x?

The Maclaurin series for e^x is significant because it allows us to approximate the value of the exponential function at any point by adding a finite number of terms from the series. This is especially useful in calculus and other branches of mathematics where the exponential function is frequently encountered.

4. How accurate is the Maclaurin series for e^x?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin series for e^x depends on the number of terms used in the approximation. The more terms that are included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of e^x. However, since it is an infinite series, the exact value of e^x can never be reached, only approached.

5. In what real-world applications is the Maclaurin series for e^x used?

The Maclaurin series for e^x is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. It is particularly useful in exponential growth and decay problems, as well as in the calculation of compound interest. It also plays a significant role in the development of mathematical models for natural phenomena such as population growth and radioactive decay.