What are visual particle dedectors?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for information on visual detectors for a nuclear presentation. A specific example of a cloud chamber, developed by Charles Wilson and awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1927, was suggested as a starting point. The conversation also mentioned a link to the presentation speech for Wilson's award and that of a contemporary whose theories were confirmed by the new method.
welmaren
i have a presentation for nuclear course, but i can't find in any resources about visual dedectors. there are many types but none specific topics. can anyone give me an example to study on?

Physics news on Phys.org
A simple example (and probably the best) is known as a cloud chamber. It was developed by a scientist named Charles Wilson. He won the Nobel Prize in Physics for it in 1927. Should be a good place to start - here's a link to the presentation speech for his award and for that of a contemporary whose theories were confirmed by the new method.

thanks timmay, i was really desperate about it. i will check the information.

Related to What are visual particle dedectors?

What are visual particle detectors?

Visual particle detectors are devices used by scientists to detect and study subatomic particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. These detectors use various methods, such as ionization, scintillation, and Cherenkov radiation, to detect the particles and gather information about their properties.

What is the purpose of visual particle detectors?

The purpose of visual particle detectors is to study the behavior and properties of subatomic particles. By detecting and measuring these particles, scientists can gain insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

How do visual particle detectors work?

Visual particle detectors work by interacting with subatomic particles and converting their energy into measurable signals. Different types of detectors use different mechanisms, such as creating an electrical current or producing flashes of light, to detect the particles and gather data about their properties.

What are some examples of visual particle detectors?

Some examples of visual particle detectors include the Geiger counter, which detects radiation using a gas-filled tube, and the photomultiplier tube, which measures light emitted by particles passing through a scintillator material. Other examples include bubble chambers, cloud chambers, and semiconductor detectors.

What are visual particle detectors used for?

Visual particle detectors are used for a variety of purposes in scientific research. They are commonly used in particle accelerators and nuclear physics experiments to study the behavior of subatomic particles. They can also be used in medical imaging, such as in PET scans, to detect and track radioactive particles in the body.