What can I use to lubricate sticky fans in my PC and air-purifier?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, a sluggish fan and a sticky fan are problem in a PC and at work, respectively. The best solution suggested is sewing machine oil, but it is difficult to find. A new fan might fix the problem, though it is possible that it will become noisy over time if the fan is not properly balanced.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've got a sluggish fan in my PC, and we're also having a problem with a sticky fan in our air-purifier at work. I know WD-40 is a no-no, and the best suggestion I have come up with is "sewing machine oil" to lubricate these parts. For some reason I am having a hard time finding sewing machine oil. Any other suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Buy a new one...:smile:

I may do that for the PC, but the fan for the air-purifier fan is going to be more difficult to replace. Blowing it out with compressed air helped, but it is still making a lot of noise.

I guess the fan must be hitting the frame. If that is the case then it sounds fixable and might go away eventually after the fan wears out whatever it is hitting on or vice versa. This reminds me of when i was a kid and my bycicle's right pedal kept hitting against the bycicle's frame, it would make a lot noise, but i kept on riding it even though the pedal would stop when it hit the frame so i had to really put some effort with my right foot on the way down so that it go past the frame. Eventually it wore out about 1cm of the frame after which point it worked perfectly. There's your solution right there. :smile:

Last edited:
-Job- said:
I guess the fan must be hitting the frame. If that is the case then it sounds fixable and might go away eventually after the fan wears out whatever it is hitting on or vice versa. This reminds me of when i was a kid and my bycicle's right pedal kept hitting against the bycicle's frame, it would make a lot noise, but i kept on riding it even though the pedal would stop when it hit the frame so i had to really put some effort with my right foot on the way down so that it go past the frame. Eventually it wore out about 1cm of the frame after which point it worked perfectly. There's your solution right there. :smile:

So, I'll just wait it out. :biggrin: I am not sure it is hitting the frame, though. I will take a closer look.

OK, so this afternoon I am going to pick up some 3-IN-ONE oil, which http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm" says is acceptable. He mentions that the "blue label mineral-based version" of the product is preferable, but I am not sure which one he means. Is he talking about one of the 3-IN-ONE Professional products?
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/3in1pro.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is great, I didn't know you could oil a computer fan, though it does make sense.

By the way, by letting the fan hit the frame and wear down, don't you run the chance of gettin it out of balance. That will probably end up being just as noisy as when it was hitting the frame.

I wasn't really being serious about letting it wear down :smile:. If it's hitting the frame i would try to position/shape the fan so that it does not, buy a new one, or get one from an old computer.

If you haven't been to this site before, perhaps it can help:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/print/?TYPE=story&AT=2135514-39020436t-20000009c

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of lubricating sticky fans?

Lubricating sticky fans helps to reduce friction between moving parts, which can improve the performance and lifespan of the fan. It also helps to prevent overheating and damage to the fan motor.

2. How often should I lubricate my sticky fans?

The frequency of lubrication depends on the type and usage of the fan. Generally, it is recommended to lubricate sticky fans at least once a year. However, if the fan is used frequently or in harsh conditions, it may need to be lubricated more often.

3. What type of lubricant should I use for sticky fans?

It is important to use a lubricant specifically designed for fans, as they are more resistant to heat and dust. Silicone or mineral-based lubricants are commonly used for sticky fans. Avoid using WD-40 or other penetrating oils, as they can attract dust and dirt and cause further issues.

4. How do I lubricate my sticky fans?

First, make sure the fan is unplugged and turned off. Then, locate the oil ports or openings on the fan and use a small amount of lubricant to apply to the bearings. Be careful not to over-lubricate, as this can cause the fan to become too slippery and affect its performance. Wipe off any excess lubricant with a clean cloth.

5. Can I use any type of lubricant for sticky fans?

No, it is important to use a lubricant specifically designed for fans. Other types of lubricants may not be suitable for the high temperatures and constant movement of fan parts, and can cause damage or reduce the effectiveness of the lubricant.