What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #1,016
Andre said:
Fry both sides for only one minute just until the first streaks of dark brown appear. That's the way to keep the fluids inside and to get the melting sensation when eating. Serve with brown gravy or other light sauce.

Gravy on steak :yuck:
After going through the effort of marinating and searing, you'll miss the amazing flavour you've created, by hiding it behind a gravy or sauce.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
How do you clean roasting tins? i have tried brillo pads, bleach, Mr muscle, gunk and petrol, nothing gets them clean.

• #1,018
wolram said:
How do you clean roasting tins? i have tried brillo pads, bleach, Mr muscle, gunk and petrol, nothing gets them clean.
There's a difference between "clean" and shiny bare metal. I wash roasting pans in soap and water and scrape them to get off the residue from the last meal, but I don't obsess about getting off the dark layer of "seasoning". Same with our steel wok. Cast-iron NEVER gets cleaned in soapy water. Use a nylon pot-scraper to clean out any residue, scour the interior a couple of times with sea-salt, and put it away.

• #1,019
Ouabache; [i said:
Wollie[/i], on steak for grilling, whichever cut you decide on, i recommend getting it dry-aged. It naturally tenderizes the meat and upon grilling this steak yields a delightful texture :tongue2:

Is it safe to eat when gets smelly? i have left meat in the fridge before and chucked it out
because it was going green and smelly.

• #1,020
Evo said:
Good lord, I'm watching some stupid show on the Food Network and this "chef" is supposed to fix dinner at the Pixar studios and one of the themes is the movie "Ratatouille". Everyone is pronouncing it rat tat too eee. ARRRGGGGHHHHH It only has three syllables, not four. It's pronounced ra ta tooy.

Ok, no one cares except me.

The character in the movie makes RAT a tooey, because he's a rat. The mispronunciation is on purpose in the movie.

• #1,021
Moonbear said:
The character in the movie makes RAT a tooey, because he's a rat. The mispronunciation is on purpose in the movie.
Rat is ok, too eee is not.

• #1,022
Evo said:
Rat is ok, too eee is not.
How do you pronounce the "Y" at the end of your pronunciation, or the e at the end of Ouabache's version? I've always heard people pronounce it too-ee at the end. I didn't know there was some other way to pronounce it.

Here: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=ratatouille

Last edited:
  • #1,023
Moonbear said:
How do you pronounce the "Y" at the end of your pronunciation, or the e at the end of Ouabache's version? I've always heard people pronounce it too-ee at the end. I didn't know there was some other way to pronounce it.
It's a single syllable like "toy", except with a u "tuy". So you could say Rat a tuy. The "e' at the end makes the "uy" sound longer, but it would be silent.

For example "grenouille" is pronounced "grhun wee", not "gre noo eee"

Last edited:
  • #1,024
Evo said:
It's a single syllable like "toy", except with a u "tuy". So you could say Rat a tuy. The "e' at the end makes the "uy" sound longer, but it would be silent.

Hmm...well, it seems we have a different American version of the pronunciation then, since even the dictionaries don't list it that way.

• #1,025
Thomas Keller of the French Laundry http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/dining/13rata.html" .

It does look consistent to what Remy was doing, since the ratatouille dish he was making used sliced, rather than diced, vegetables. I've only had ratatouille with diced vegetables.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,027
ZapperZ said:
Thomas Keller of the French Laundry http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/dining/13rata.html" .

It does look consistent to what Remy was doing, since the ratatouille dish he was making used sliced, rather than diced, vegetables. I've only had ratatouille with diced vegetables.

Zz.
Keller's dish is not traditional ratatouille, it's a new age version of it he calls "confit byaldi". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confit_byaldi Why they would have an American chef consult for French food is beyond me.

• #1,028
Evo said:
Keller's dish is not traditional ratatouille, it's a new age version of it he calls "confit byaldi". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confit_byaldi Why they would have an American chef consult for French food is beyond me.

If that's the case, the French would have jumped all over it. But from reviews that I've read out of there, they thought it was a rather accurate depiction of the recipe and a french restaurant kitchen in general.

Zz.

• #1,029
Moonbear said:
Hmm...well, it seems we have a different American version of the pronunciation then, since even the dictionaries don't list it that way.
Yes, it's an American version, not correct in French. Southern France perhaps is closer since their southern accent makes them pronounce the silent e's, but sounds more like "uh". For example Antibe "an teeb" is pronounced "an tee buh" in the south of France.

• #1,030
ZapperZ said:
If that's the case, the French would have jumped all over it. But from reviews that I've read out of there, they thought it was a rather accurate depiction of the recipe and a french restaurant kitchen in general.

Zz.
Does the picture of the confit biyaldi look like what was made in the movie? His recipe sounds great, but I wouldn't have recognized it as ratatouille.

(don't forget that I am French and grew up eating traditional ratatouille.)

This is a good explanation of why they didn't use ratatouille for the movie, it didn't look good enough. http://www.metropulse.com/articles/2007/17_31/kitchen.html

• #1,031
Evo said:
Does the picture of the confit biyaldi look like what was made in the movie? His recipe sounds great, but I wouldn't have recognized it as ratatouille.

(don't forget that I am French and grew up eating traditional ratatouille.)

This is a good explanation of why they didn't use ratatouille for the movie, it didn't look good enough. http://www.metropulse.com/articles/2007/17_31/kitchen.html

It does look similar.

Still, I think this is within the premise of the movie. Remy wants to make something "traditional", but he's also serving it in an upscale Paris restaurant to an important food critic. So one certainly expect that an upscale version of a peasant dish would be something not uncommon.

We can't tell what exactly are the ingredients used in the movie, just that the ratatouille looks different than the common version in its presentation. I don't find that not unrealistic at all, considering how many upscale restaurants often reinterprets food classics.

Zz.

• #1,032
ZapperZ said:
It does look similar.

Still, I think this is within the premise of the movie. Remy wants to make something "traditional", but he's also serving it in an upscale Paris restaurant to an important food critic. So one certainly expect that an upscale version of a peasant dish would be something not uncommon.

We can't tell what exactly are the ingredients used in the movie, just that the ratatouille looks different than the common version in its presentation. I don't find that not unrealistic at all, considering how many upscale restaurants often reinterprets food classics.

Zz.
Yes, that's what they explain in that last link I posted. Ratatouille didn't look good when drawn, so they went with a dish that had more eye appeal, the confit biyaldi, similar ingredients to ratatouille, just made differently, it's no longer a stew of chopped vegetables.

The biyaldi sounds good, I think I'll make some next week, I just finished off the pot of ratatouille I made the other night.

Last edited:
  • #1,033
Evo said:
Yes, that's what they explain in that last link I posted. Ratatouille didn't look good when drawn, so they went with a dish that had more eye appeal, the confit biyaldi, similar ingredients to ratatouille, just made differently, it's no longer a stew of chopped vegetables.

The biyaldi sounds good, I think I'll make some next week, I just finished off the pot of ratatouille I made the other night.

When are you going to send some my way? I haven't had a good ratatouille in years.

Come to think of it, I can't remember if I've ever had a good ratatouille.

Zz.

• #1,034
ZapperZ said:
When are you going to send some my way? I haven't had a good ratatouille in years.

Come to think of it, I can't remember if I've ever had a good ratatouille.

Zz.
I will have to make you some. Mine is the basic traditional recipe, it's delicious hot or cold. As a girlfriend once said of my cooking "it's orgasmic".

• #1,035
wolram said:
Is it safe to eat when gets smelly? i have left meat in the fridge before and chucked it out
because it was going green and smelly.
I'm with you, if it doesn't smell good, don't eat it. :yuck:
If you look through the dry aging description, they only use top cuts of steak and leave the thick layer of fat on. It's done under controlled conditions; high humidity (75%), and cool refrigeration 1-3 deg C.

• #1,036
Evo said:
:rofl: Check out this dictionary's pronunciation http://www.yourdictionary.com/ratatouille

ahahaha
:rofl:hahahah hee hee :rofl: (reminds me of the voice on my cell)

So there is the native pronunciation of Français and then there is the English strangulation of it. How often do you hear the correct pronunciation of Detroit (détroit, deh trhwa')? When I lived near Chicago, I heard the local pronunciation of a suburb Des Plaines said this way, Dez Playnes :uhh:

Last edited:
  • #1,037
Ouabache said:
When I lived near Chicago, I heard the local pronunciation of a suburb Des Plaines said this way, Dez Playnes :uhh:
As opposed to Tattoo's pronounciation?

• #1,038
turbo-1 said:
As opposed to Tattoo's pronounciation?
precisely..:smile: (though i also heard it called dess playnes)
Come to think of it, there are quite a few place names of French origin in the U.S. Many concentrated around areas of colonization, New France

Though I've digressed too far from our thread.. We are indebted to the French for having added to American cooking, the delicious flavours of the simple mirepoix. A trinity of ingredients and basis of many dishes. Who knows of some other cooking trinities?

Last edited:
  • #1,039
I bought some great looking beef shanks. I was going to make minnestrone, but now I'm thinking I'd like something different. Maybe beef with barley and red wine, I haven't made that in a long time.

• #1,040
That sounds so good, more so now that its turned cold again. I've been lazy about going shopping. A big chain of supermarkets closed and now my little shops are so full of people, it makes shopping not so fun.

• #1,041
Evo said:
I bought some great looking beef shanks. I was going to make minnestrone, but now I'm thinking I'd like something different. Maybe beef with barley and red wine, I haven't made that in a long time.

Marinate the shank with red wine, rosemary, bay leaves, sliced onions, pepper corns, and smashed garlic for about an hour. Then remove the shank, pat it dry, and brown in a large, heavy pot with some oil. When browned on all sides, pour the marinade into the pot, and add beef stock if necessary so that the shank is at least 3/4 covered by liquid. Cook slowly (covered) on low heat on the stove for at least 2 hours (I recommend 3), or in the oven for the same length of time until fork tender. Season to taste.

Remove shank and strain liquid. Reduce the liquid over medium heat until syrupy (not thick like gravy). Serve shank with mash potatoes or, my favorite, polenta. Pour reduced marinade on the shank. It makes one of the best cold-weather meal that I know of.

Zz.

• #1,042
ZapperZ said:
Marinate the shank with red wine, rosemary, bay leaves, sliced onions, pepper corns, and smashed garlic for about an hour. Then remove the shank, pat it dry, and brown in a large, heavy pot with some oil. When browned on all sides, pour the marinade into the pot, and add beef stock if necessary so that the shank is at least 3/4 covered by liquid. Cook slowly (covered) on low heat on the stove for at least 2 hours (I recommend 3), or in the oven for the same length of time until fork tender. Season to taste.

Remove shank and strain liquid. Reduce the liquid over medium heat until syrupy (not thick like gravy). Serve shank with mash potatoes or, my favorite, polenta. Pour reduced marinade on the shank. It makes one of the best cold-weather meal that I know of.

Zz.
Ooooh, yum! That's what I'm making for dinner! Thanks Zz.

• #1,043
I don't cook as much as others to explore all these different meals--but they sound great and pretty tasty.---maybe someday...

• #1,044
Who knows of some other cooking trinities?
When I cook chinese style; a common theme is scallions, ginger & garlic Mmmmm.. I think i'll make some marinated chinese beef and broccoli today. (secret ingredient fresh ground szechwan peppercorns)

• #1,045
What do you eat with oily fish? i have tins of various fish unopened because i only ever have them with toast which is not very tasty, what for example would go with pilchards?

• #1,046
wolram said:
What do you eat with oily fish? i have tins of various fish unopened because i only ever have them with toast which is not very tasty, what for example would go with pilchards?
I used to make a great open faced grilled sardine sandwich. On one slice of bread, split the sardines in half and layer over top of the bread, place swiss cheese over sardines and grill until melted. I also would sprinkle a bit of home made Ranch style dressing over the sandwich after it's grilled.

• #1,047
Evo said:
I used to make a great open faced grilled sardine sandwich. On one slice of bread, split the sardines in half and layer over top of the bread, place swiss cheese over sardines and grill until melted. I also would sprinkle a bit of home made Ranch style dressing over the sandwich after it's grilled.

Sounds OK, could i use Chedar and chili relish?

I have started preserving chilis in olive oil, is that a good idea?

And what to have with my rib eye steak with melted stilton on top, i thought mushrooms,
but then i thought may be pineaple or pear would go nice.

• #1,048
wolram said:

I only eat things like that on crackers. I guess they might go okay in a salad. I'm not sure Evo's sardine sandwich with cheese is sounding all that appealing to me though. :uhh: It sounds like a good way to get yourself extra elbow room in a crowded cafeteria though.

• #1,049
Moonbear said:
I only eat things like that on crackers. I guess they might go okay in a salad. I'm not sure Evo's sardine sandwich with cheese is sounding all that appealing to me though. :uhh: It sounds like a good way to get yourself extra elbow room in a crowded cafeteria though.
LOL.
I quite like the idea.

I have sardines, makeral and pilchards in my cupboard, i guess because i keep reading that oily fish is good for you, but it aint if it is left in the cupboard.

• #1,050
Moonbear said:
I'm not sure Evo's sardine sandwich with cheese is sounding all that appealing to me though. :uhh: It sounds like a good way to get yourself extra elbow room in a crowded cafeteria though.
Don't knock it until you try it. I was fed this and was absolutely amazed. It became my most requested snack.