What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,906
Monique said:
How can you go wrong with bell peppers? The onions and the garlic need to be firm and I always look out that the onions are not moldy.

I have no clue about apples, oranges and pears. I'm never too lucky with those (that's why they get baked into deserts). For some reason grapefruits are always juicy and full of flavor, so I always go with those instead of the oranges.

With oranges, I wonder if one could compare the relative density. I don't know if the difference in water content is large enough to detect by feel, or not, but I'm guessing that more water is better? Still, this says nothing about the sweetness. As for apples and pears, I don't even have a guess. Some of the seemingly best looking apples can be woody and dry.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,907
turbo-1 said:
I share food with a vegetarian. I made a huge batch of stuff out of peppers and garlic when cleaning out the garden, with every kind of peppers from roaring-hot habaneros all the way to ripe bell peppers, and LOTS of fresh Russian garlic. I put in all kinds of our fresh basil, dill, and scallions, too, and processed the stuff until it was just short of a "sauce", but not as chunky as my regular chili relish. It is killer on hot-dogs, and as a source of spice, richness, and heat for pizza sauce, so my neighbor can use it to dress up the faux-meats that he will eat. Tonight, my wife is making a big batch of spaghetti sauce using my home-made marinara as the base, and the chili-garlic sauce for "piquant"ness. I LOVE my garden and kitchen.
I'm jealous, the closest that I have come to a garden was some stalks of mint standing in the kitchen. Slowly all the leaves started to disappear and after a few days I noticed a caterpillar that was having a feast. I tried to save the plant, but then my boyfriend threw it out thinking that it was trash.

The descriptions of your sauces always make my mouth water. I'm not good at making those at all, but my mother-in-law is. Once in a while I get a batch of fiery hot pepper sauce, which always makes my day.

• #2,908
Monique, if you can find an end-of season sale on hot peppers, here is what you should do. Buy some of the chilies, and get some fresh garlic (probably at least 1/4 the weight of the peppers). Puree them in a blender with some sweet peppers, fresh basil, dill, onion, scallion, salt and a bit of good olive oil and simmer the mix until it is thick enough to stick onto a spoon. Jar that, cover it (no heat-processing or canning) and refrigerate it. You'll find ways to use it, and that will give you ideas on how to improve the recipe next time. Some of these sauces are great "neat" on some foods, and some are killer in casseroles, pasta sauces, etc, that can benefit from a little "kick". My wife and I both love garlic and chili heat, and the fresh herbs add so much. Basil in particular is a wonderful herb, because it imparts a mild "sweet" flavor to sauces and cuts sourness without any added sugars.

• #2,909
Ack, I'll be having more tests for post-operative problems. One problem I might have means I have to go on a strict diet.

No spices (which means no peppers), no tomato products, no citrus fruits, no sugar like products as in honey, corn syrup, glucose, fructose, dextrose, no fats.

I need high protein and low carbohydrates, yet high fiber, and lay on my side for an hour every time I eat eat, which should be 6 times a day.

Oh, and I can't drink anything during meals. I can drink only between meals.

No alcohol.

• #2,910
Evo said:
Ack, I'll be having more tests for post-operative problems. One problem I might have means I have to go on a strict diet.

No spices (which means no peppers), no tomato products, no citrus fruits, no sugar like products as in honey, corn syrup, glucose, fructose, dextrose, no fats.

I need high protein and low carbohydrates, yet high fiber, and lay on my side for an hour every time I eat eat, which should be 6 times a day.

No alcohol.

That sounds horrible :frown:...how long would you have to do all this?

• #2,911
lisab said:
That sounds horrible :frown:...how long would you have to do all this?
For the rest of my life.

• #2,912
Evo said:
For the rest of my life.

:cry:

• #2,913
lisab said:
:cry:
I know. :cry:

• #2,914
Evo said:

No alcohol.

This is bad news. I'm so sorry. Let's hope for the best.

• #2,915
Evo said:
I know. :cry:
No reprieve or wriggle-room?

• #2,916
turbo-1 said:
No reprieve or wriggle-room?
Not if it is one of the diagnosis. Of course I could reject the diet and continue to have excrutiating pain every time I eat

• #2,917
Evo said:
Not if it is one of the diagnosis. Of course I could reject the diet and continue to have excrutiating pain every time I eat
I would die. My abject apologies! May there be another path for you.

• #2,918
Anybody LOVE sushi? It's probably my favorite food.

• #2,919
Evo said:

No alcohol.

Dying looks like a kindergarten in comparison.

• #2,920
Evo said:

No alcohol.

Oh my! Last I read you were having high blood pressure problems. Now this! :eek: Dare I ask what happened? This comes as a shock to me. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

I'll try to hunt for some recipes that you may like. Take care.

• #2,921
Kind of a cool day today, and my wife decided to make up a batch of macaroni and cheese for supper. She used sharp cheddar for the cheese, and laced the dish with the pepper/garlic sauce I made when cleaning out the garden. Wow! I ate too much. It was too good to stop at one serving. There are already too many uses for the sauce. It will not last until next season.

Another good use for the sauce is to mix it with Cain's mayo as a custom tartar sauce for fish sandwiches. If I had a food truck, I'd have to buy and cultivate an acre of bottom-land just to get enough peppers and garlic to produce enough sauce for the truck, and for sales of individual jars to customers who would want to take some home.

• #2,922
ViewsofMars said:
Oh my! Last I read you were having high blood pressure problems. Now this! :eek: Dare I ask what happened? This comes as a shock to me. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

I'll try to hunt for some recipes that you may like. Take care.
Thank you Mars! Part of it is my GERD surgery coming undone. I'm set for another slew of tests in the next couple of weeks, so I hopefully will know more.

I'm hoping I'm not going to have to cut everything I love out. I've been trying to think of how I can get some variety with all those restrictions.

• #2,923
Evo said:

No alcohol.

Oh no! I'm concerned. Try not to worry. A girlfriend of mine married this sweet guy who knew she had GERD surgery then complications. She is ok now. She was pregnant when it happened. She is pregnant again. Life goes on.

You earlier said:
Evo said:

No alcohol.

This might be helpful though I would recommend you contacting your doctor if he thinks this will work for you:

Timothy S. Harlan, M.D.
Dr. Harlan is a practicing, board-certified Internist and he is currently the Medical Director of Outpatient Clinics, Associate Chief of General Internal Medicine, and Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans. His love of food preparation began as a teenager working in the restaurant business. Starting as a dishwasher, he worked his way up to managing his first restaurant by the age of eighteen. Along the way he learned cooking from many fine chefs, and at age twenty-two opened his own restaurant: a small country-French café.

Three years operating Le Petit Café—creating menus, being a chef and teaching cooking classes—were challenging and creative. Closing the restaurant to return to college was an important turning point in his life. Dr. Harlan had originally intended to pursue a degree in hotel and restaurant management, but events led him toward medicine and the decision to become a physician.

After finishing an undergraduate degree in anthropology and biology at Emory University in Atlanta, Dr. Harlan went on to study at Emory University School of Medicine. Working as a caterer throughout school, he continued to be involved with food and cooking but noticed a lack of knowledge in the medical field about eating healthy and eating well. Neither patients nor health care providers understood much about a healthful diet. Patients, it seemed, were usually told not what they could eat but, rather, what they could not eat.

Please read on . . .
http://www.drgourmet.com/pr/index.shtml

Dr. Harlan has some great recipes that I wouldn't mind trying out myself. Looks yummy.
GERD / Acid Reflux Safe Recipes
http://www.drgourmet.com/gerd/index.shtml

• #2,924
Evo said:

I'm sorry that this happened (I can guess what this means for your Vagus Nerve), but as weird and restrictive as this seems now, even stranger and more invasive routines can become an easily forgettable part of everyday life. I can't lie and say this is a change you were looking for, but at least there is a solution. Good luck Evo!

• #2,925
Evo said:
Part of it is my GERD surgery coming undone.

I'm hoping I'm not going to have to cut everything I love out.

When I first read this, I sort of mashed the above two comments together. I thought to myself "omg, are they just going to start cutting organs out of her? I am rather fond of all my organs."

• #2,926
ViewsofMars said:
Oh no! I'm concerned. Try not to worry. A girlfriend of mine married this sweet guy who knew she had GERD surgery then complications.

Dr. Harlan has some great recipes that I wouldn't mind trying out myself. Looks yummy.
GERD / Acid Reflux Safe Recipes
http://www.drgourmet.com/gerd/index.shtml
Those look great, thanks so much Mars. :smile:

nismaratwork said:
I'm sorry that this happened (I can guess what this means for your Vagus Nerve), but as weird and restrictive as this seems now, even stranger and more invasive routines can become an easily forgettable part of everyday life. I can't lie and say this is a change you were looking for, but at least there is a solution. Good luck Evo!

DaveC426913 said:
When I first read this, I sort of mashed the above two comments together. I thought to myself "omg, are they just going to start cutting organs out of her? I am rather fond of all my organs."
I've already had too many organs removed, I'm running out.

Nismar, believe it or not, I have just finally gotten my insurance back after it was accidently canceled. So nothing has been done since my thread in August. The GI Dr has ordered an upper and lower GI, blood tests, an ultrasound and a CAT scan, which I was supposed to have done last week, but,
I don't want to continue hijacking the food thread, so I will post updates in the vagus nerve thread, which should be renamed "Why is Evo so cranky?"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=420906

• #2,927
Evo said:
I hope you realize that what you are eating is potentially harmful to your internal organs and you should only do this under constant supervision of a real doctor.

Eating food is potentially harmful to my internal organs?

• #2,928
Je m'appelle said:
Overloading on the types of foods you are eating is harmful.

• #2,929
Evo said:
Overloading on the types of foods you are eating is harmful.

All things in moderation. Except for moderation...I just can't get enough of it!

• #2,930
Je m'appelle said:

Yes, it can really be harmful. For example, I have chronic kidney disease along with a long list of kidney diseases. Therefore, My kidneys barely function. Animal protein has a toxin in it that your kidneys have to filter. For most people, this is know problem. For me, it can be lethal. While I can eat a small steak every now and again, if I eat to much animal protein, you will find me at the local hospital in an immense amount of pain.

• #2,931
AnaShep said:
Yes, it can really be harmful. For example, I have chronic kidney disease along with a long list of kidney diseases. Therefore, My kidneys barely function. Animal protein has a toxin in it that your kidneys have to filter. For most people, this is know problem. For me, it can be lethal. While I can eat a small steak every now and again, if I eat to much animal protein, you will find me at the local hospital in an immense amount of pain.

That's got to suck.

But I'm pretty sure Je m'appelle can consider himself near the middle of the physiological bell curve. That being the case, he would be better-advised about what harm can come to an average person if they eat inappropriately.

• #2,932
Harold McGee's 'Keys To Good Cooking' For Chefs
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130697865

I caught the interview. McGee has a lot of insight into food and cooking. For example, he offers advice on when to season food - just before serving - or cooking meat at low temperature (~150-170 F), rather than at 300-350 F. One can cook for a short time at a high temperature, or sear the outside, but then cook for longer time on low heat.

Using a microwave is better for vegetables than steaming or boiling.

• #2,933
Astronuc said:
... sear the outside, but then cook for longer time on low heat.
This is how my wife makes steaks. She sears them in a ridged iron pan on the stove then pops them in the oven. JuuuuuuuiCY! I would never have thought anything could be better than BBQing but I am a total convert.

• #2,934
Maybe the strangest looking veggie:

[PLAIN]http://www.ehealthyland.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/brussels-sprouts-benefits.jpg

Just coming into season now, the delicious Brussels sprout :approve:.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,935
Brussel sprouts? *screams and hides*

• #2,936
I love Brussels sprouts - so much that my tongue will turn silver from eating them.

• #2,937
Astronuc said:
I love Brussels sprouts - so much that my tongue will turn silver from eating them.
They are very good when they are treated properly. They have to get hit by a hard frost to sweeten them up before they are fit to eat. I may have to try transplanting them into the shade of the trellised squash or cukes to reduce heat from over-exposure to sun. Might get the yield up that way...

• #2,938
I had a hot bowl of oxtail soup this morning for breakfast. It would have been tastier if my sinuses weren't plugged tight. This cold/flu is taking a lot of the fun out of food.

• #2,939
I'm trying to make some garlic bread dip. I have chopped garlic marinating in olive oil. I threw in a little bit of red pepper, black pepper and salt.
I wonder how long it needs to sit before I can eat it.

• #2,940
Math Is Hard said:
I'm trying to make some garlic bread dip. I have chopped garlic marinating in olive oil. I threw in a little bit of red pepper, black pepper and salt.
I wonder how long it needs to sit before I can eat it.
Mash the garlic and eat it now. :devil: