What chem classes would you have taken

In summary, the conversation discussed the most interesting and helpful classes for an undergraduate student studying chemistry. The pros recommended taking a computer programming course, advanced math courses for p-chem, and organic chemistry for materials research. They also emphasized the importance of computational work and physics courses for a career in R&D. However, the need for these courses may vary depending on the type of work a person expects to do, with some companies still relying on general chemistry and gravimetric or qualitative inorganic tests. Overall, courses such as Quantitative Chemistry were deemed valuable for understanding analytical methods in the lab. The conversation also touched on the differences between low-tech and high-tech industries and their impact on the need for certain chemistry courses.
gmunoz18
I am an undergrad student studying chemistry and I was wondering from the pros what classes you thought were the most interesting or helpful after school.

Physics news on Phys.org
General Chemistry and Quantitative Chemistry

Gen Chem

At least from my perspective (physical/biological chemistry focus), I wish I had taken a computer programming/applications course for chemists (scientists) as an undergrad. Would have saved me some trouble later along the way.

I personally thought p.chem. was invaluable, but again, that's a personal bias. P.chem. lab was also highly useful, in terms of thinking about and analyzing experiments.

If you are interested in p-chem, definitely take some advanced math courses. I found an abstract algebra course covering linear algebra and group theory to be especially useful for quantum mechanics.

Organic chemistry is crucial for materials research. It's also a really hard class that uses no math. Even though I didn't like it that much, it was really satisfying when I did well in it.

leumas: I beg to differ my friend. Organic chemistry is not that crucial, maybe if your into polymers and plastics, but not if you're into more hard/condensed materials.

gmunoz: I would get as much experience doing computational work. It's a much needed skill in both academia and corporations. Also, doing computational quantum and physical chemistry is probably a good breadwinner. Learn to program, preferably matlab/C/fortran. And, do as much physics you can. Not just some mechanics and some steppingstone - physics, but real physics like solid state physics, quantum mechanics and the like. I think it would be easier to land a R&D job that way.

Besides, general chemistry? come on guys! That is like playstuff for a real chemist. I don't really think you have that much need of a gen chem course in corporate life? Although if that is the only chem you're using in the companies where you work I don't think they're doing very well... gen chem is only a stepping stone on the chemical ladder.

Fearless, about post #7:

Beyond General Chemistry, which courses are important depend on what work a person expects to do. Sometimes a company which does not do very well needs a couple of people with some strong general knowledge which may be adequately taken from General Chemistry; and sometimes that is the course which is adequate in a company which is doing reasonably well. You can become at least briefly acquainted with several different analytical tests/measurements in a General Chem. lab section. A variety of gravimetric measurements may be done as exercises in the lab section, and some companies still rely on old-fashioned gravimetric methods. A few companies still use a few qualitative inorganic tests and many of such tests are instructed in General Chemistry.

Beyond General Chemistry, the most likely course of great value is Quantitative Chemistry so that you are ready to be trained and understand many titrations, or electroanalytical analysese, or spectrophotometric analyses, or possibly chromatographic methods (Yes, a person may often be trainable for any of those also without having coursework beyond General Chemistry - he's just ready to understand more.). A chemist may at times need some theoretical knowledge for analytical chemical situations which he may have studied in the Quantitative course.

Symbolipoint: Which country are you referring to? I believe that in most hightech industrialised countries there doesn't exist such enterprises which are so lowtech. Of course there are exceptions, but science jobs which only really challenges you up to generel chemistry are not that abundant. I can somewhat relate to quantitative chem to being a good course, but only for lab-related work.

Related to What chem classes would you have taken

1. What chemistry classes are required for a basic science degree?

For a basic science degree, the required chemistry classes typically include general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry. These courses cover the fundamental principles of chemistry and provide a strong foundation for further study in the field.

2. What advanced chemistry classes should I take to specialize in a specific area of research?

The advanced chemistry classes you should take will depend on your specific area of interest. For example, if you are interested in environmental chemistry, you may want to take classes in environmental chemistry, analytical chemistry, and toxicology. If you are interested in medicinal chemistry, you may want to take classes in medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, and biochemistry.

3. Are there any recommended electives for a chemistry major?

Yes, there are many recommended electives for a chemistry major. Some popular options include physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, polymer chemistry, and spectroscopy. You can also choose electives based on your specific interests or career goals.

4. Are there any online chemistry classes available?

Yes, there are many online chemistry classes available. These courses are often offered by universities and can be a convenient option for those who cannot attend traditional classes. However, it is important to ensure that the online course is accredited and meets the necessary requirements for your degree program.

5. Can I take chemistry classes as a non-science major?

Yes, many universities offer introductory chemistry classes for non-science majors. These classes are designed to provide a basic understanding of chemistry principles without requiring a strong background in science. However, it is important to check with your advisor to ensure that the class will fulfill any requirements for your major.