What Defines the Smallest Normal Subgroup Containing a Subset?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the smallest normal subgroup that contains a given subset of a group. It is defined as the intersection of all normal subgroups containing the subset, in the sense of the partial order given by the subgroup relation. It is important to note that "smallest" in this case does not refer to cardinality, but rather to the subgroup relation. The conversation also touches on the idea of well-definedness and the definition of "smallest" in a preorder.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] smallest normal subgroup

Homework Statement

Given any subset S of a group G, show that it makes sense to speak of the smallest normal subgroup that contains S. Hint: Use the fact that an intersection of normal subgroups of a group G is again a normal subgroup of G.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint makes the proof easy when G is finite. When G is infinite, I do not think that the result holds since the intersection, for example of two alpha_0 sets, can be the same cardinality of the original sets. Can someone confirm?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Smallest" is meant in the sense of the partial order given by the subgroup relation. It is not meant in the sense of the total preorder given by comparing cardinalities.

That said, in a preorder, it is perfectly okay for there to be more than one "smallest" element.

(eep! I hope the point of the exercise wasn't for you to discover this yourself)

Last edited:
I always understood it as a definition that the smallest set (possibly with restrictions) A containing a set B as the intersection of all sets (with the same restrictions) containing B.

I am confused. What exactly do they want me to prove??

Good question. I hate these loosely worded problems about things "making sense."

Honestly, I'd just show that an arbitrary intersection of normal subgroups containing a nonempty set is a normal subgroup, and move on.

"Does ____ makes sense?" often (usually?) means "Is ____ well-defined?"

But what is ______ in this case?

I think I'll just take Mystic998's suggestion.

"the smallest normal subgroup that contains S"

And what exactly is your definition of "smallest" (I read post #2, but I want a real precise definition if you don't mind)?

I think you can take it to mean it's the intersection of all normal subgroups that contain S.

ehrenfest said:
And what exactly is your definition of "smallest" (I read post #2, but I want a real precise definition if you don't mind)?
As in any preorder, "smallest" is defined as follows:

Suppose that [itex]\leq[/itex] is a reflexive, transitive relation on a set P, so that [itex](P, \leq)[/itex] is a preorder1. X is a smallest element of [itex](P, \leq)[/itex] if and only if, for every [itex]Y \in P[/itex], we have [itex]X \leq Y[/itex].

In this case, P is the set of subgroups containing S, and [itex]\leq = \subseteq[/itex].

I.E. an element is the smallest if and only if it is less than or equal to every element of your preordering.

1: It's a partial order if [itex]\leq[/itex] is also antisymmetric

Last edited:

Related to What Defines the Smallest Normal Subgroup Containing a Subset?

What is a smallest normal subgroup?

A smallest normal subgroup is the smallest subgroup of a group that is also normal, meaning that it is invariant under conjugation by all elements of the larger group.

Why is the concept of smallest normal subgroup important?

The concept of smallest normal subgroup is important because it allows us to analyze the structure of a group and understand its properties and relationships with other groups.

How is the smallest normal subgroup determined?

The smallest normal subgroup is determined by finding the intersection of all normal subgroups of a group. This intersection will be the smallest normal subgroup.

What is the role of the smallest normal subgroup in group theory?

The smallest normal subgroup plays a crucial role in group theory as it helps to classify and understand different types of groups, such as simple groups, solvable groups, and nilpotent groups.

Can a group have more than one smallest normal subgroup?

Yes, a group can have more than one smallest normal subgroup. In fact, if a group has more than one smallest normal subgroup, they will all be isomorphic to each other.