What distance is used in Hubble's Law.

In summary, the distance used in Hubble's law is known as the "proper distance" and is the distance that would be measured by a ruler at the time of observation. The redshift measures the amount of expansion between the time the light was emitted and the current time, and cannot be fully understood as a doppler shift. To calculate the value of Hubble's constant, one must use data collected from when the light was emitted and incorporate theoretical calculations.
Javier Chornet
Hello,

I was thinking about the Hubble's law and I know that it's determined as [tex]H(t)=\frac{1}{a(t)}\frac{da(t)}{dt}[/tex] and then, thinking in the derivate of the scale factor as the speed, we've de usual formula [tex]v(t)=H(t)D[/tex]
But my question is: the distance is the distance we observe the object (so now it's in farther because of the time that takes the light to go across these distance) or the real distance of the object?
In other worlds: is the distance of the galaxy when the light was emmited or the real distance at the moment of observation (despite we observe it nearest)?

I was thinking on it and trying to solve it using the derivation of the formula but I'm not convinced on any option.

Thanks,
Javier Chornet.

Space news on Phys.org
The distance that's used for this purpose is known as the "proper distance". This is the distance that would be measured by a ruler at the time of observation.

If you want an in-depth view of distance measures in cosmology, see here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9905116

Likes Javier Chornet
Chalnoth said:
The distance that's used for this purpose is known as the "proper distance". This is the distance that would be measured by a ruler at the time of observation.

So the used disance is the real distance of the galaxy at the moment of the observation (further than the distance we observe because the finite spee light).
Thank you! Your answer was so iluminating, and the paper you've referred is great!
Thanks again!

Chalnoth said:

Sorry again,
But then, if I measure the redshift, I'm measuring the speed that the galaxy had when she emmited the light. So for knowing the speed at the proper distance for know the value of Hubble's constant, you must calculate it theoretically based on the data collected from when the ligth was emmited, musn't you?

Javier Chornet said:
Sorry again,
But then, if I measure the redshift, I'm measuring the speed that the galaxy had when she emmited the light. So for knowing the speed at the proper distance for know the value of Hubble's constant, you must calculate it theoretically based on the data collected from when the ligth was emmited, musn't you?
Actually, the redshift measures the amount of expansion between the time the light was emitted and the current time.

There is some change in the redshift due to the movement of us and the far-away galaxy relative to the background expansion. But for the most part the redshift can't really be understood as a doppler shift at all. Rather, as the universe expands, the wavelength of the photon also increases along with the expansion.

1. What is Hubble's law?

Hubble's law is a fundamental principle in astronomy that describes the relationship between the distance of galaxies from us and their recessional velocity. It states that the farther a galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away.

2. What distance is used in Hubble's law?

The distance used in Hubble's law is known as the redshift distance, which is calculated based on the observed shift in the wavelength of light from a galaxy. This shift is caused by the expansion of the universe.

3. How is the distance measured in Hubble's law?

The distance is measured using a standard candle, which is an astronomical object with a known luminosity. By measuring the object's apparent brightness, scientists can calculate the distance to the galaxy using the inverse square law.

4. What is the significance of Hubble's law?

Hubble's law is significant because it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe and the Big Bang theory. It also allows scientists to estimate the age of the universe and track the expansion rate over time.

5. Is Hubble's law applicable to all galaxies?

Hubble's law is applicable to most galaxies, but there are exceptions. Galaxies that are too close to us or are affected by other gravitational forces may not follow the linear relationship of Hubble's law.